PS2 and Xbox quality games...

Started by
13 comments, last by Syntaxxed 21 years, 3 months ago
edit of above:
is it just me or the graphics on the xbox/ps2 are awfully "blurry"? maybe its because they are shown on a TV, but i''ve tried on hdtv and no diff. this is uncomparable to UT2k3''s CRISP and wonderful graphics!
Advertisement
Nope it''s not just you.

Console graphics aren''t bad but I''ll take a good PC anyday over an Xbox...
cmillion
A cheap version of a ps2 dev kit is availible for about $150 or so, it runs a linux kernal.. it isn''t an official kit but it''s about 1/10th the price of playing with Xbox (which >sucks< by the way!)
no, it is just you, on my 61" projection tv, my xbox is very crisp...unreal championship is very nice and i like it's online gaming more than unreal tournament 2003...

project gotham racing is very nice looking and pgr2 will support 780i resolution!

halo is nice...but not the best, but has the best outdoor drawing distances...

the best is easily rallisport challenge (for realtime rendering) it takes advantage of anti-aliasing as it shur is pertty! i love it to death!

EDIT: I should probably leave something about the topic...
I am 16 years old I am working as an artist on a commercial game. I have one crappy game out called Galactic Wars (good except VERY buggy) and I have 2 other games that are in my past and lost in the digital world (these are Space Invaders 2003 and Lemonade Stand). I am working on Galactic Wars 2. I will starting a go-kart racing game this summer (maybe) and I will start my Unkown Series (thats the name of the 3 games) sometime next year. I am a junior in high school, I will be majoring in Computer-Science. I have taken Intro to C++, I am taking AP C++ and I will be taking Intro to Java and then AP Java (next year). I look forward to working on many commercial games. I want to reach Microsoft, Bungie, Epic Games or Bizarre Creations as my best job.

btw...2 questions for the pros out there...
- How are my credentials so far...?
- What companies are you guys working for (if Bungie, you must reveal all you know about Halo 2!)

<- Digital Explosions ->
"Discipline is my sword, faith is my shield
do not dive into uncertainty, and you may live to reap the rewards" - (Unreal Championship)

[edited by - Krisc on January 20, 2003 1:18:46 AM]
>> 10k for the xbox dev kit? Isnt'' that cheap? i thought the ps2 dev kit used to be 22k

A PS2Devkit is 10k (dollars or Euro depending on where you are located) too these days. Microsoft just put their price in the same range as the PS2.

>> A cheap version of a ps2 dev kit is availible for about $150 or so, it runs a linux kernal.. it isn''t an official kit but it''s about 1/10th the price of playing with Xbox (which >sucks< by the way!)

Please do *not* call the PS2 Linux kit for a PS2 devkit. There is a world of difference. A linux kit requires Linux to be installed which consumes a lot of vital memory (remember there is only 32 MB RAM). You don''t get Sony''s real development libraries (only some to go through Linux - the code I see on website don''t look like the libraries I use) and I am told the Linux ones generally are slower. Furthermore a PS2 devkit has 128 MB RAM (8 MB in the IOP) which allows debug builds of large executables. The devkit allows remote development over a network so I can compile to at and debug from MS Visual Studio (using an extra tool called ProDG from SN Systems) and I can make the PS2 read data over the network which makes protyping from game content made in Max or our editor a bliss. The PS2 Linux kit is intende for hobbyist that want to play around with the PS2 hardware.

>> That would be the incubator program, right? Where they give you a machine as part of the package... I was applying for the XBox Prototyping Kit, which I''ve heard is just a word document detailing how to set up your build environment for XBox development (i.e. stuff you can/can not use, etc.)

I don''t know. I didn''t apply for the stuff. But I guess that our application went through because we have a cool game demo, are already licensed for PS2 development and we know some highup people at some big publishers that could acknowledge that we were serious.

Jacob Marner, M.Sc.
Console Programmer, Deadline Games
Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement