Constructive Solid Geometry

Started by
4 comments, last by AndyGeers 21 years, 3 months ago
Hi there, Does anybody know of any good tutorials on the web about Constructive Solid Geometry, such as is used by Unreal? I found one at http://www.cfxweb.net/~aggrav8d/tutorials/csg.html but it doesn''t go into very much detail at all. If not on the web, then any good text books covering the topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Andy Geers
Advertisement
what do you mean?
Constructive Solid Geometry (CSG) is the addition/subtraction/intersection of 2 or more meshes. e.g. if you have a large cube and a small cube thats overlapping with the large cube, subtraction of the small from the large would give you the large cube with a chunk cut out of it where the small cube was.

[edit]
CSG was used in Unreal??
[/edit]

[edited by - joanusdmentia on January 19, 2003 8:01:30 PM]
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
Yes, I believe Unreal did use CSG. But not like in Quake, where you subtracted/added/intersected brushes, in Unreal, the world was treated as a huge piece of clay basically and you cut out your world using different shapes.
-----For I have seen the face of evil and it will not soon be forgotten.
not much help really but...

IMO: best way of doing CSG is using BSP trees, they are very good for this.

I vaguely remember seeing something on flipcode->ask midnight..try that...otherwise try searching BSP/CSG
I just noticed that there''s quite a helpful section on the subject in the BSP Tree FAQ listed in the resources section.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement