QuadTree vs. OctTree

Started by
6 comments, last by neurokaotix 21 years, 3 months ago
That''s right boys and girls, a good ol'' fashion vs. thread o_O Actually, I would like to know what is best for outdoor terrains, QuadTree or OctTree
Advertisement
and the only really valid answer to every vs. question:
depends

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Predictable next question: On what? (back 2 you again... )
If your terrain engine has only 1 y-plane (ie, generic terrain map. no caves or other layers) then use a quad tree (less hassle). If you have a lot of things in the air, underground and all over the place, use an oct tree.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Predictable next question: On what? (back 2 you again... )

depends on the outdoor terrain

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

yeah its your standard heightmap produced terrain
I have never ever worked with Quadtrees or Octrees, so I might be wrong, but I guess it has to do with the height of your terrain. If you terrain is so high that you can win performance by having also different LOD levels at certain heights, then the octree is your choice. If it''s low enough and you cannot win performance by splitting up the y axis, then the quadtree is your solution.

Again, I might be wrong as I have 0 experience in this, but this seems a logical answer to the problem.
STOP THE PLANET!! I WANT TO GET OFF!!
I tried to post earlier, but this forum seems not to like me at the moment. $%^&*("£$%^&*( thing.

Structural has already summed it up, but in general, unless you''re doing a game based in a skyscraper or something, a quadtree will be more than adaquate. Its easy to convert a quad to oct if needed anyway, so start with the simpler quadtree and try something else if its unacceptable..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement