C++ vs C# for DirectX9 programming

Started by
24 comments, last by GameDude1 21 years, 2 months ago
quote:Original post by Epolevne
Currently you can reach at least 80% of your market if you write a windows-only game...is the time spent writing cross-platform code worth it?
Actually, the PC market isn''t even a drop in the bucket of the total gaming market. We sell more copies of the PS2 version of our games in ONE MONTH than we sell copies of the PC version in six. It is absolutely important that we keep 95% of our code cross-platform. We have strict one year development cycles (Baseball''s opening day doesn''t change...) and we are now shipping on 3 platforms day-and-date. Next year, we will be shipping on 4.

So, yes, it''s worth it.

quote:This is obviously subject to change, but I wouldn''t expect it anytime soon.

Once we have multiple viable gaming platforms expect games to take longer to make (or cost more).
When you get out of your computer-based thinking, and realize that the real business of game development is concentrated on the consoles, you''ll retract this statement. And the answer to the "longer/cost more" is middleware, either licensed or internally developed. Having a cross-platform API to develop on makes multiple SKUs not only possible, but highly economical.

-scott
Advertisement
Why not use pointers to optimize areas where performance in importnant using the UNSAFE feature of C# :-)
quote:Actually, the PC market isn''t even a drop in the bucket of the total gaming market.

Having pulled a number out of my ass, I''ll retract my 80% comment. Now with industry-back financial numbers I''ll say 40% of the overall gaming market is on PCs (90 million units to 140 million, though I couldn''t find $/unit for either group). But obviously PCs and consoles have totally different genres they play towards. PC sports games are certainly less than 20% of the market, but PCs dominate in RPGs (MMPORPG and others) and FPS''s (though consoles are growing in this area).

Certainly the sports-games industry is a specialty...is the yearly release neccessary for any other industry? Imagine that the (artificial) yearly timeline is now gone. Now, if a dev house could release a game (a MMPORPG for example) AND a couple addon packs in a year rather than just the game, but they could only be played on Windows is that worth it?

Does doing it in C++ on multiple platforms make the maximum profit? I''m sure you''ll push more units, but you''d have to push a LOT more units to balance out the added cost.

My previous comments were incorrect in scope, knowing "your market" is more specific than the "game industry"...should have been more specific. Obviously your market is different than mine.

Epolevne

500x2
Just because one from one company sells more PSX games than PC does not mean that other companies does not sell more PC than console games. Currently, developing in c# is a PC only thing although c# to my knowledge is being converted to other platforms as well. What does this mean for the future? I would think that it means that the general parts of the code probably will be made in c# and the more demanding parts in c++,c or assembler depending on the current needs. As with any artist, producer or what ever, you need to use the tools that best suits your current need. To argue wether or not you should use c# or c++ is quite pointless as you can either pick one or do the smart thing and pick what does the job best. It really doesn''t matter if c# is 10% slower than c++ since a good c# programmer can probably beat a mediocre/half good c++ programmer as far as performance goes. On the other hand a good assembler programmer can beat any other language programmer by a mile but for what cost? It will take forever to write (Actually there is now an OOP package for assembler programmers available on the net so this is not entirely true). And there comes the whole point I believe. After all, the company has to meet a deadline and if writing in c# does that job then c# it is. I know very little of c# since I am a asm/c/c++ programmer and will probably remain that for the better part of the future but that does not mean I reject the idea that c# might actually be more commonplace.

Feel free to comment, object, laugh at or agree to this. I won''t engage in flaming because of what I have said. I could be wrong or right but the ideas are mine.

Good luck to you all.

Most of the developers I see posting here are indies or trying to break in. They''re not well-funded startups with tons of money to invest, they have a PC and are wondering how to develop PC games.

Getting a console development license is NOT cheap. And, last I checked, you have to go through an approval process as well. How many people on here have the resources and backing to do so? Damn few. And I recall something about each game having to pass through an approval process as well, although I''m not sure every console manufacturer has this requirement.

So, given the nature of the question and the likely situation of the poster, I think we can safely say console development is out of the question. Or am I off-base? I''d be happy to be corrected, if someone can point me in the direction of a place where a lowly indie developer like I can get, say, a PS2 dev kit and a license to produce games for it for under $2K I''d party on the patio! $2K I can pony up out of my own pocket, although I''d have to leave off my computer upgrades for the year...

Until then, cross-platform to console is meaningless for me and I would suspect the majority of the developers here. Not like I want it to be, it''s just a fact as far as I can tell. Like I said, please prove me wrong, I''d love to develop a console game and make my engine cross-platform...
Wooly Games for Wooly Minds!
I have to agree to the sooner posts ...
Prototyping woukd be faster in C#. And I like this language very much, more than C++. But it surely depends on the job to be done.
I''m only beginning to checkout C# and DX9.0 programming.

About Visual Studio .NET:

1) The Documentation is very very good.
2) Yes, it takes 2GB of HDD. But man, i''ve got 60GB, what''s the matter.
3) Very annoying: Install time. Up to 1,5-2,0h.
4) The IDE is very good, developing in\with VS .NET rocks and is fun !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement