Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monder

Reseting Root Password

Monder    993
A few days ago I installed slackware 8.0. I use grub to boot it and I didn''t install that till today. So I used grub to boot up slackware and everything was ok. I then tried to login as root but I couldn''t remember the password. I have an RH admin survival cd so I can boot up a minimal system and mount my slackware drive. I did this went to the /etc/passwd file and there was a line that begined with root:x: I assumed x meant the password was located in a shadow file so I set it to * cause I though this meant no password so I had this root:*: However when I booted up slackware I tried to login as root with a blank password it didn''t work. Can anyone please tell me what else I have to do to remove the root password?

osmanb    2082
I''m pretty sure that * is the marker for a disabled account. You should be able to change the root password with your CD (or just use lilo or whatever to boot into single-user mode). At that point you have total control of the system anyway, and you can hash your desired password, and manually put it into the passwd file.

Monder    993
All I had to do was not put anything in the password field so I had this

root::

This took off the password and I logged in as root and set a new one. Thanks anyway guys

Flarelocke    410
Boot linux into single user mode and you won''t be asked for a password at all. I don''t know if Grub has anything like Lilo does for passing arguments, but typing "linux single" at the LILO: prompt did it for me.