Recording channels

Started by
4 comments, last by JohanK 21 years, 2 months ago
Hi, I have connected two microphones to the mic-in channel. Is it possible to record these microphones independently of each other? The mixer in windows only gives you one mic level (and only one line-in aswell)? Does this make sense? /Johan [edited by - JohanK on January 31, 2003 2:59:04 AM]
Advertisement
You can''t record them separately, you only have one channel. If the mic in is stereo (which it probably isn''t), you might have some luck. You could conceivably record both the mic in and the line in (using a microphone preamp like the Midiman Audiobuddy perhaps) at the same time, but your audio recording program would still have to support recording two tracks at once, and it would have to support the mic and line in as separate inputs.

It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Hi,

The microphone is a stereo microphone and its connected to the mic-in with a stereo 3 1/4 mm connector.

I tried cubase sx, but it only takes the left microphone and puts it on both channels. The right microphone doesnt record at all.

Thanks
/Johan
Is the input for the microphone stereo? Most mic-in ports are mono, and thus would only record half the stereo stream, and should you be recording in stereo, distribute it across both channels.
The specification from creative says

1 "stereo line-in"
1 "stereo microphone"

I''ve connected my stereo microphone to the "mic-in". But nowhere to be found is a way to record in stereo.

I dont want to buy a preamp so that I can use the linein. (that works).

Is there another software mixer to be used?

Thanks
/Johan
Just shove it in Line In... The microphone input is most definatly mono is almost all cases (including every creative card I have seen).

Quick check - Double click on the volume controll (near the clock) and then Options->Properties and check to show everything.

Now "OK" back out of that dialouge and then any channel with the balance slider disabled is mono, the rest, stereo (or quad in a few cases).

Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS
Cool Links :: [ GD | TG | MS | NeHe | PA | SA | M&S | TA | LiT | H*R ]
Got Clue? :: [ Start Here! | Google | MSDN | GameDev.net Reference | OGL v D3D | File Formats | Asking Questions | Go FAQ yourself ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement