Classes in classes, public, private?!

Started by
5 comments, last by Questionmark02 21 years, 2 months ago
I wasn''t working a lot with classes for a long time when I began learning how to do OpenGL, but now I need them and forgot a probably simple thing: If I create a class, with another class as variable inside that one, is the private content of the second class available to the first one? Something like this: class B { private: int x; public: int y; }; class A { private: B SecClass; public: void DoSomethingToSecClass(); }; void A::DoSomethingToSecClass() { SecClass.x = 0; } Then calling A.DoSomethingToSecClass would change the private variable in that SecClass, wouldn''t it?
Advertisement
no. If class B has a private member, no other class can access it. You either need to make it public, or make a function that returns a pointer or the variable itself.
STOP THE PLANET!! I WANT TO GET OFF!!
Ah, thanks.
I just thought that maybe A would be considered the "parent" of B or something, but it''s ok like this.
I guess I''ll just make it all public in class B, since no other part of the program will even touch it. There should be no problems.
If only A needs to access B's private values, you can make A to be B's friend

[edited by - civguy on January 31, 2003 2:57:28 AM]
It maybe that class B can do the ''something'' itself rather than having to expose itself. Getting/Setting isn''t really the point, and just returning a pointer to the internal data is as bad as having the data public.

It''s difficult to discuss without a specific example. Can you show us more code?

On the other hand, this *should* work, if your compiler can take it

class B{private:    int x;public:    int y;    class A;};class B::A{private:    B SecClass;public:    void DoSomethingToSecClass();};void B::A::DoSomethingToSecClass(){   SecClass.x = 0;}int main(){   B::A foo;   foo.DoSomethingToSecClass();} 

Since the class A is declared as a member of B, it has access to B's private members

edit - fixed declaration error

edit - As Mr Jack pointed out, I'm wrong.

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]

[edited by - Fruny on January 31, 2003 3:10:44 AM]

[edited by - Fruny on January 31, 2003 5:07:00 AM]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Fruny: No, you are mistaken...

"The members of a member class have no special access to members of an enclosing class. Similarly members of an enclosing class have no special access to members of a nested class..."

- Stroustrup, The C++ Programming Language, 3rd Edition, p.851.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement