SDL Porting

Started by
8 comments, last by Kosh 23 years, 11 months ago
Hi everyone, I would like to ask people in this channel if there are any issues with porting a DirectX7 game to Linux using the SDL library, I am not versed in this, so I fall upon your knowledge to help me Do you know something about SDL, something that doesnt work, some bug that stops this that or the other. If you also have another suggestion for a lib that you find it EXCELLANT for porting games, dont hesitate to reply kosh
if understanding it made and born with time, then time, is understandings greatest enemy.....
Advertisement
DirectX is extremely hard to port. Microsoft has a habit of making everything propriety and incompatible with other operating systems. If you want to design for Linux, consider OpenGL, GTK, Qt, or even Wine (which is actually a Windows emulator). I haven''t actually programmed with any of these (although I''ve seen some source code), but I plan on making a simple game soon, and I plan on making it compatible with both Windows and Linux (I dual boot, and I want it available in both. )

If anything, It''ll be the proprietiness of Windows that will stop you. You''ll have to re-learn ANSI C++ all over again .
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away"--Henry David Thoreau
Cobra, you misunderstand--SDL was _designed_ to make porting between _platforms_ easy. As such, a program using SDL will natively run in DirectX under Windows, or use X11 under Linux(or whatever you want, I believe fbcon and svgalib support is available, although not as good as X). SDL is rather simple(you don''t get anything like Allegro''s gonzo sprite handling functions), but it is extremely reliable, fast, and close to the hardware--it can even act as a wrapper to OpenGL in the 1.1 source tree.

Kosh: You may want to ask specific questions at the SDL ML, accessible through SDL''s homepage(www.lokigames.com/ml/sdl). If I remember right, SDL is structured similar to DX; replace DX surfaces with SDL_Surfaces, use the Event handling functions, etc. Majorly cool; you don''t need to dink with lowlevel Windows stuff if you don''t want to(SDL will handle most of it).
As such, there aren''t really any major gotchas in SDL right now; 1.1 is stable enough to base preliminary applications on right now.
Umm, I''ve never worked with SDL, what is it, and can you give me their actual homepage? I just got a discussion forum when I looked at the URL you provided me. I just thought it was some standard Windows library, sorry for the confusion. Can you tell me where I can download it?
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away"--Henry David Thoreau
I think the status "zealot" says it all, really....

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

I would like to take this moment to point out that we
do need non-proprietery language portability libraries
rather than SDL''s. This is not saying SDL''s are `bad'',
but it''s just that we don''t have even one Xlib to Windows
graphics code or vice versa portability library.

We *really* need one!!!! Think of all the Xlib programs
you want to port to Windows or vice versa, can''t do
that with the tons of SDL''s around.
Tara Milana - WP Entertainmenthttp://wolfpack.twu.net/Comp graphics artist and programmer.
LearFox,

perhaps this just shows how little you know about SDL, have you even read about it?

SDL is a library that abstracts DirectX, Xlib, BeOS(whatever it uses) and some other libs on other OS''s it''s built to be portable and non propritry, it''s built so that you can port stuff from one platform to another with minimal code changes.

I would suggest reading about SDL before you comment on it, thanks...

kosh

if understanding it made and born with time, then time, is understandings greatest enemy.....
LearFox,

perhaps this just shows how little you know about SDL, have you even read about it?

SDL is a library that abstracts DirectX, Xlib, BeOS(whatever it uses) and some other libs on other OS''s it''s built to be portable and non propritry, it''s built so that you can port stuff from one platform to another with minimal code changes.

I would suggest reading about SDL before you comment on it, thanks...

kosh

I''m afraid I may have misunderstood. I''ve delt with
several libraries with the name SDL in them. I did not
realize this was THE SDL, sorry.

Is there a list of the API that I can review for this SDL?
Tara Milana - WP Entertainmenthttp://wolfpack.twu.net/Comp graphics artist and programmer.
Kosh, you mentioned that SDL abstracts Xlib and DirectX
along with other languages.

The point of what I said earlier is exactly what you
nariated above (in a different way ).

My point was that abstracting Xlib is not Xlib, it''s proprietery (otherwise it would be Xlib, not abstracted Xlib).

My nariative and abstract was accurate, that we need a portability system from Xlib to another platform, not abstract Xlib to another platform. Do you see what I mean now?

Sorry about the confusion.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement