[java] Can or can not, that is the question.

Started by
16 comments, last by Tiso 23 years, 11 months ago
I was wondering if Java can make barriers on a web site, like it requires a password to enter? I''m really interested in getting someething like that for my company so I can post the "member only" stuff and not worry about someone getting in and stealing our idea. There is one site that has this that kind of gave me the idea for it, and it is: www.hero6.com If I could get something like that, man would that make things easier. Any help is appreciated.
Advertisement
They''re using a CGI script not java. What you really want is to have your own web server. Then you can set privilages on each file and have your on cgi-bin and stuff. Some internet providers will let you do that with your web space, but most won''t.
See ya,
Ben
__________________________Mencken's Law:"For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution; and it's always wrong."
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science in 1949
Can I still use CGI scripts without my own server?
Usually not. Your web host would have to allow you to run cgis.
It is possible to create an applet that will load a page if and only if a certain password is given. (Or some other criterea is met.) However, it''s restricted to loading files that the browser already has access to; once the page is loaded the user can return to the page, bypassing the applet, by typing in the URL or bookmarking, etc.
mhh..
I''m using JAVA everyday to create such things !
The fact is that I''m a web dev and I use JAVA servlets instead of incsecured PHP/CGI/PERL...

So you can.

-* Sounds, music and story makes the difference between good and great games *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Since your website is for your company you could host it for free at Hypermart. They allow you to use custom cgi scripts and set up file permissions & htaccess files for your directories.
right, but Java servlets have the same problem as cgi if not worse because you need a servlet engine to run them
Okay, so I can make such a thing with java? Is that right? Somebody mentioned I have to have something called a servlet to use it? I''m confused. What do I need and what do I need to know to make a barrier like that? Even if the barrier is weak?
With an applet, you can :
- encrypt the web page into a file
- check for a password
- create a temporary file on the user''s HD (requires jdk/jre 1.2+)
- uncrypt the file into the temporary file
- transform the File into a URL
- give the URL to the browser through java-script <br><br>That''s it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement