motion blurr effects

Started by
5 comments, last by jverkoey 21 years, 1 month ago
anyone have any working code that creates the motion blur effect? I have tried making it, but whenever I do it, the entire program slows to a crawl........ so, some working code would be nice, thank you bloodright.150m.com //For the latest on all of the IVGDA projects!
Advertisement
You can fake it by doing "ghosting".. after rendering each frame, copy it to a texture, and after drawing the next frame, blend the previous frame over the top of it, but not too much.

Rendering to a texture can be used for many useful effects, including predator-like invisibility

-----------------------
"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else''s drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
Then again - rendering the frame to a texture once slowed my program down by ~50%. I''d be careful with it if you only have a small number of polys that you want to blur (eg a box).

Just something to keep in mind.

Crispy
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
There''s always the accumulation buffer too, assuming you know how to manipulate it.

---
K-1 Productions: Come visit us here.
---K-1 Productions: Come visit us here.
www.gametutorials.com has a tutorial on the method maximus suggested.
quote:Original post by K-1
There''s always the accumulation buffer too, assuming you know how to manipulate it.

---
K-1 Productions: Come visit us here.

But the accumulation buffer is very, very slow, and not that often hardware supported, so you might want to avoid it.

Doing what I suggested works fine no matter what the background colour is. I do it in the Quake2 engine, and it works fine.

Screenshot here

-----------------------
"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else''s drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement