Achieving Good Tile Blending

Started by
0 comments, last by JonW 21 years, 1 month ago
I'm working on an isometric tile-based project. I want to get a good blend between the tiles so they are not so blocky. What I am doing is blending the tiles with their southern, southwestern, and southeastern neighbors by rendering those textures onto the tile with a diffuse value.

<>
 <><>
  <>

In the above picture the left vertex of the top tile is blended with the left tile, the right vertex of the top tile is blended with the right tile, and the bottom vertex of the top tile is blended with the bottom most tile. Sorry for the bad picture This doesn't really give me the effect I like. It doesn't look as good as I hoped. Any suggestions on how I can improve it? Thanks a lot! [edited by - JonWoyame on March 4, 2003 7:35:32 PM] [edited by - JonWoyame on March 4, 2003 7:41:46 PM]
Advertisement
If you want it to load/run fast and achive what I think you are trying to do. My suggustion is make the tiles not exactly the ''rectangle'' shape but rather have frayed edges.. eg: have the grass extend a few pixels on the northwest/northeast borders and render the tiles from top down. That way they somewhat layer and fuse the edges (like make the stone have a few pixels of stone in directions layer over.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement