First Person Shooters

Started by
4 comments, last by julienX 21 years, 1 month ago
Ok I'm really interested in these types of games and so I would like to know whether there is an API of choice for these games? Like what's the most commonly used for FPS, Betwween Opengl or Direct3D? Or maybe one is best suited for FPS's than the other? Or maybe they are both used and preffered as much?? Please any help here would be nice And please tell me of any popular FPS games and what API was used for them? Thanks for ya time! [EDIT] This is NOT at all meant to be a flame war, and please do not turn this into one. [edited by - julienX on March 5, 2003 6:51:21 AM]
chacha
Advertisement
Both are suited for FPS games.
Just have a look at Quake3. It''s engine (if I''m not mistaken) uses OpenGL. I read somewhere that John Carmack is even using OpenGL for the Doom3 Engine, though I''m not sure if the source is trustworthy.

On the other hand, the New Unreal Engine uses DX. Although I think it can use OpenGL too. They implemented both. Not sure about that though. The original Unreal Engine at least could be rendered using OpenGL or DX.
So you see, todays best Engines for FPS use either OpenGL or DX. So I don''t think one is better suited then the other for an FPS.
Carmack is an OpenGL nut, its all he uses.

In contrast to the games already mentioned, look at Half-Life, you can use OpenGL or DirectX (or even software =)).
When games use software is it using things like GDI or what?
lol it will be a cold day in hell when john carmack uses directx to render
no, it still goes through DX and OGL, but it doesn''t take advantage of HAL.
"Make a world of your own" - Kurt Cobain

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement