Getting MPlayer to work

Started by
6 comments, last by BradDaBug 21 years, 1 month ago
I downloaded MPlayer (the GUI version) and the Quicktime codec, downloaded the Animatrix Part 2 file (its Quicktime), opened it in MPlayer, and guess what? It didn''t work. The screen stays black, garbage starts scrolling down the console (kind of a Matrix style effect, if you don''t think to hard about it) and theres an error message that pops up saying "Cannot find codec for audio format 0x6134706D." What''s wrong? I''ve opened a regular old mpeg4 video, which also works in Xine, and it works fine. Did I not install the Quicktime thing right? BTW, I installed everything via rpm.
I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement
Well, that''s odd. That The Ring video works (http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/374/374128p1.html) but the Animatrix part 2 thing doesn''t.

BTW, anyone seen Ringu, the Japanese version? I heard its even better than The Ring.
I like the DARK layout!
Using a hex editor, I found that 0x6134706D (a FOURCC, probably) is MP4A. I don''t think that''s the problem.

Do you have Sorenson codec''s setup for MPlayer? Quicktime files can use a number of codecs for audio and video, most can be played by MPlayer without modification (I watch Quicktime files with MPlayer relatively often), but Sorenson support is a little more difficult.

I don''t have Sorenson codecs setup for MPlayer at this time, so I can''t really test my answer (more of a guess, actually; although I did download the smallest file to mess with).

I was looking at the docs at mplayer''s web site, and if I understood right the older version of Sorenson is included with MPlayer, and the newer version is in that Quicktime codec addon thing, which I''ve already downloaded and installed.

BTW, as long as I install the codec via RPM, that''s all I need to do, right? I don''t have to edit any configuration files, do I?
I like the DARK layout!
I installed the SVQ3 codecs (in /usr/lib/win32) but still couldn''t get it to play in MPlayer (the configuration files already seem to be setup to see the SVQ3 codecs if they''re installed). However, it now plays in Totem (XINE-based) somehow (heh).

I did a google and found this link: http://playbacktime.com/archives/000295.html

quote:In futher analysis, this file [The Animatrix] is probably using Sorenson Video 3, not Photo-JPEG. It''s doing something whacky where the first frame is JPEG, but it''s appended to the standard video track instead of being the same one.
I''m guessing the file was encoded in Cleaner with the "High Quality First Frame" flag on, and set to JPEG mode. This is a goofy and pointless thing to do with a modern codec, but I''ve seen it happen. That would also explain why MPlayer playback is failing.

Anyway, this is probaby a Sorenson Video 3.1 Pro 2-pass VBR encode, based on the data rate distribution. Still, they should have used B-frame encoding, and MP3 or AAC-LC audio instead of QDesign. The keyframe insertion threshold was also too sensitive.

That doesn''t sound too good. Will the MPlayer folks be doing anything to get it to work? Or will I *gulp* have to boot Windows to see it???
I like the DARK layout!
I mentioned that I had it working in Totem (completely: video and sound) now. You could do the same.

I did notice MPlayer complaining about jpeg-something when I forced it to use SVQ3, but I didn''t do as much investigation as they did...

here ya go.

http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2003-February/029187.html

But... but that''s what HITLER would say!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement