Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

teamonkey

[java] Utter Java newbie

Hi I want to get into J2ME programming, but have no idea where to start. I have experience with several OO programming languages (including C++), but have never used Java. I don''t even know where to start. I take it you need some sort of bytecode compiler - where can I get this from? What exactly do I need to start programming in Java? Also, will I be able to run J2ME apps on a PC with a Java VM? If not, is there some sort of emulator I can use? Sorry if these questions are answered in the FAQ, but it seems to be offline right now. Thanks. [teamonkey]

You need JDK1.4.1_02 from http://java.sun.com

Then you'll nee the J2ME developer's kit from there as well.

Then you probably want an IDE to develop with; my own favourite is Eclipse but a lot of people get on with IntelliJ and NetBeans to name but two other alternatives (there's a refreshing number of IDEs about). There are some IDEs specially for J2ME development - IBM's Visual Age Micro Edition and Borland have an addon too for JBuilder.

Sorry, was feeling a little negative there

Cas

[edited by - princec on March 7, 2003 10:41:26 AM]

You can also use JCreator for your IDE, it is pretty straightforward and it is free. You can download it at

http://www.jcreator.com/

There are also tons of examples and tutorials on how to get Java up and running on the web, just do a google search.

Most IDEs allow you to specify your compiler. I like the Jikes compiler, it is an open-source java compiler from IBM. It is much much faster than javac, and I think tends to give more concise error messages.

Hope that helps.

"Set Phasers to neuter..."

Thanks guys. I''ve now downloaded the SDK and the wireless development package, and now realise that MIDP1.0 sucks beyond all belief. No wonder 99% of the Java phone games are rubbish

Now waiting for a MIDP2.0 phone to come out...

[teamonkey]