Math vs M.s. CS

Started by
7 comments, last by platypusman 21 years, 1 month ago
Hey everyone, I am currently finishing my third year of an honours software engineering degree. I am also finishing my second year of an honours math degree because of my clever choices in electives and the overlapping requirements for both programs. Anyways, as the end of the school year approaches and the possibility of completing university next year and getting a "real" job arises I have been doing some soul searching. The main issue I am facing has been deciding between going for my Masters in Comp Sci or completing my honours math degree to end up with two BSc degrees. I read over and over again about how a good understanding in math is extremely important in graphics programming but what do the employers look for? (i.e. - what will get me hired!!) If I do my masters in comp sci I would most likely do my thesis on something in the AI field because it is interesting to me. What are the benefits of either approach. I realize that the decision ultimately lies with me but getting some advice never hurt anyone either. Thanks
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don''t let anyone tell you any different! - Kurt Vonnegut
Advertisement
Chances are your employeer will not be using 3D math. With the exception of Pixar like companies, most programming jobs don''t require much math. I know your teachers say otherwise, but the truth is that modern programming isn''t that tied to math. Admittedly, I''ve never held a job (I''m in your boat right now), but I know quite a few people who graduated with a CS degree, and didn''t get jobs because they didn''t know SQL. Yes, SQL - most 4 year universities don''t even teach it, but it is exteremly useful (expecally if you graduated from a no-name university like my friends did). In short, I''d go for the masters in CS from a well-known school.
I''d say get the Masters degree in math. Having a masters in anything is certainly more impressive than having two BSs, and a lot of people who are applying for jobs are going to have a BS in comp sci, so having the masters in math might give you an edge in that you''ll stand out. That said, I''ve never hired anyone, so it''s probably better to get a more professional opinion.
-YoshiXGXCX ''99
Thanks YoshiN, I was thinking about getting a Masters in Math too. It seems as though Math is more applicable to any number of jobs and that way I can keep my options open for almost anything that way.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don''t let anyone tell you any different! - Kurt Vonnegut
Why not get a degree and Math, then go for the Masters in CS or Math?
Why not drop out of school and join a cult?
quote:Original post by platypusman
Hey everyone,

I am currently finishing my third year of an honours software engineering degree. I am also finishing my second year of an honours math degree because of my clever choices in electives

I''d suggest taking an english course or two. I find it interesting that an honors student doesn''t know how to spell "honors."

[Piebert Entertainment] [Ask The All-Knowing Oracle A Question]------------------------------------------------------------GDSFUBY GameDev Society For UnBanning YodaTheCodaIf you want to see yoda unbanned then put this in your sig ------------------------------------------------------------DAIAGA Dave Astle is a God Association. To join, put this in your sig!Founder and High Priest of DAIAGA[edited by - YodaTheCoda on December 10, 2003 1:57:54 PM]
Erm smarty.... boths are ok..
Oh well...

[edited by - xMcBainx on March 12, 2003 2:18:51 PM]
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
Well ktuluorion,

You may want to check a dictionary or possibly look at my location. In Canada we spell honors as honours we also spell color as colour, etc... after our good British friends.

Anyways, it seems like a masters in something or the other is the way to go. I guess I''ll just have to decide which one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement