Dplay interoperability?

Started by
0 comments, last by Cereal Killah 23 years, 11 months ago
I was wondering, can the MacNSquash versions of Blizzard games like Diablo work in multiplayer with the Windows versions? Don''t the Windows versions use DirectPlay? Isn''t Battle.NET a DirectPlay Lobby provider? The point is, there has been much discussion about the problem with DirectPlay being that you can''t, for example, have a Linux server while using DirectPlay in the client, because DirectPlay is not available on Linux. But, it is also not available on the Mac. If these games do interoperate, and the Windows versions do use DirectPlay, it would show an exception to this "rule" and show that DirectPlay emulation was doable on other platforms. But, I don''t even know if the Mac versions can interact with Windows versions in the first place.
Advertisement
I don''t know about Diablo, but StarCraft will interoperate between Macintosh and Wintel versions over IPX. However, as far as I know, the Wintel StarCraft versions don''t use DirectPlay for LAN games, at least none of the normal DPlay crap shows up when packet sniffing. And I''m very sure that they don''t use DirectPlay for Battle.net games, the network traffic is nothing at all consistent with standard DirectPlay brokering.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement