LUA .. not very well organised resources

Started by
8 comments, last by Woody FX 21 years, 1 month ago
Have been lookin about the Web searching on Google etc and have not come across any good tutorial s on learning to programe in LUA. I have never used it before and need a Beginners tutorial on it and info on how to set it up to work with VC++6 plus how to run a prog in LUA code! If you have jumped this hurdel before please advise! Thanks Brian Been on the lua.org and lue-users.org sites but still not found anytyhing clear enough! Thanks once again [edited by - Woody FX on March 25, 2003 7:21:11 AM]
Advertisement
Have you looked at the book I linked to yesterday?

Chapter 21. Extending your Application (Page 145)
thanks petewood hopefully that will hit the nail on the head!!

Will try a few simple apps tonight and see if i can get them to execute... have you been doing LUA dev ??

How are you finding it?

thanks
http://gamestudies.cdis.org/~amatheson/LUA-Part01/Part01-section01.html

imo that is the best tutorial on embedding lua, and even that is fairly incomplete.

[edited by - FearedPixel on March 25, 2003 8:56:39 AM]
No, I''ve evaluated it but not had what I would consider ''experience''

There is a dearth of info but what there is is good enough to get you going. Really it''s quite simple (but flexible and powerful).

There is a site which might help and be more accessible to you, although I''ve not looked at it very much myself. The Apocalyx engine makes use of lua and you can try you hand using it in the console of the demos on the site. The source code is available too.
FearedPixel those tuts you linked to look good... just what i needed... even source code provided!
http://tonyandpaige.com/tutorials/

some more lua tutorials..
quote:Original post by Woody FX
FearedPixel those tuts you linked to look good... just what i needed... even source code provided!

And now to be completly awkward, I recomend you dont code things yourself, but use a tool such as ToLua to do things for you

You can look through the tutorial, so you can sea how it is done, but you will realise that it would be extremly difficult to code all those glue functions etc yourself, and making classes available to lua is even more difficult, and it would be very error-prone and difficult.

Check out ToLua here:
http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~celes/tolua/
:-( Dont code myself....

Ok i will give learning it a shot! Will fall back to tolua if i have to ...

No harm putting in work and learning something!

Bioware use Lua as their scripting language...someday would love to work with those guys in a year or 2 if i am lucky!
So might as well give it my best shot!

Thanks
Yeah, you can look through the tutorials so that you understand what is done etc, but you will realise, that writing the glue functions etc to connect an existing program is just a lot of work, rather than being difficult (it obviously isn''t too difficult if a program can generate that code).
If you have a lot of classes, it is going to take a lot of time, and it will be easy to mess up accidently etc, and you will basically have to test out all functions thoroughly to make sure they work. For smaller projects however, I guess it wouldn''t take that long.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement