Mandrake 9.1 released!

Started by
31 comments, last by BradDaBug 21 years ago
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en Not too many mirrors though, are there? Remember, don''t be stupid! Don''t boycott France! Download Mandrake Linux today!
I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement
Already downloaded CD 1 + 2, just waiting on 3 now

Stu
The servers are so SLOW! I want more mirrors! I''m getting CD 1 and 3 at .2 Kps! Ooooohhh.... its so sloooooooooow... i want it now! AH! now its 24 byes per second! At this rate it will take approximatly 1 year to download Mandrake 9.1.

OOooooo... Glib 2.3..... Gnome 2.2... Galaxy theme... Mozilla 1.3....
I like the DARK layout!
You can always try Slackware 9.0 which has the same stuff...though CmndrM seems to not have thought much of it.

I may still install it just to see what it''s like though. I''m not terribly put off by a small initial distro since I can always download stuff later.

You can also try out the rc version of Yoper which is kind of interesting. Man I wish Gentoo 1.4 final will come out soon...
The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the Sermon on the Mount." - General Omar Bradley
I left my computer on overnight downloading with GetRight (is there anything in Linux that can do as much as GetRight? Mainly splitting up a download and downloading each segment from different servers? And of course resuming?) and I've got CD 2, 90% of CD 3, and 1% of CD 1. Wait, now its 2%!

Last night after i posted my little rant/tantrum thingy, the speed jumped up to around 90 Kps for each CD! I mean, suddenly! One second it was .2 Kps, the next 90 Kps! Perhaps my brother was on Kazaa or something.

I hope I have some blank CDs around here somewhere.

EDIT: WOAH! did anyone else see that?! That was the mother of all double posts! I clicked the submit button, a few seconds later Mozilla said "the document contains no data." i waited a minute or two then clicked it again. What do I see when the page loads? 10 posts all identical!

[edited by - BradDaBug on March 26, 2003 10:05:05 AM]
I like the DARK layout!
quote:You can always try Slackware 9.0 which has the same stuff...though CmndrM seems to not have thought much of it.

No, there is where the problem lies. Slack 9 doesn''t include a ton of stuff that it used to. For example, Eterm, Evas, and other E-components. Not to mention countless libs. It''s basically impossible to compile anything dependent on pre-2 GTK.

Patrick Volkerding is also an idiot, in my opinion, because he thinks he knows what''s best in all circumstances, and made all of these decisions himself. I tried emailing him once months back with suggestions, and he basically told me that all my ideas sucked and that they would be very bad. Keep in mind my suggestions were very minor ones to the Slackpack format. But anyway, I digress...
Been running Mandrake 9.1 for about an hour now, and it is fantastic so far Sets up fantasically, and the Galaxy look is brilliant. Well done Mandrake Soft, you might even have tempted me to join Mandrake Club!!!

Stuart
What do you think about RedHat8.0?
Are there a lot of developing tools included?

The Wild Wild West - Desperado!
The Wild Wild West - Desperado!
RedHat 8 is okay, if you don''t mind the fact that they raped both KDE and GNOME to make them look exactly the same.
RedHat 8.0 was probably the first good step forward for Linux desktops IMHO. They settled on an interface called BlueCurve that diverges from KDE and GNOME. It drove most Linux advocates into a frenzy, but if Linux wants to get into the Enterprise or Desktop markets with better consistency, they need a common UI as well as a common System Management set of GUI tools.

I found RH 8.0 to be pretty good, though a bit buggy with some configuration scripts (DNS Dynamic Updates required setting DHCPCD client params manually for example).

RH decided to jump to RH 9.0 later this month. Strange move, so it'll be interesting to see how it's received by the community. Though for many companies, it's one of the first choices. (Suse, Mandrake and then Debian in that order from my experiences with customers using Linux).

All in all, I found RH 8.0 to be a good step forward. The UI was more consistent than any so far for Linux, though still wasn't what I would call "ideal". If they keep grouping user tasks into well formed menu items, keep creating systems for maintaing the system (fonts, etc) it'll take hold.

As for development tools, during the install add the development items (do custom when picking packages).

Interim.

[edited by - Interim on March 26, 2003 2:14:06 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement