Ragdoll physics...

Started by
13 comments, last by yodaman 20 years, 1 month ago
I bought myself a new Computer Gaming World mag last night and Of course I fliped directly to the Doom3 article. Anyway, One of the comments was on ragdoll physics, how bodys will slip down stares and flop over rails etc... What I started thinking of was how this is done. I have not yet implemented physics with graphics other then CD and particle engines, so I am not sure on how it all works. But what im thinking is, is that the physics are aplied directly to the skeletion. If the animations are pre made though, how is this done without getting any strange problems? I quess you could just disabled the normal animation (after death) and then apply the physics, but Im not sure. Am I correct? And if so, could you apply this same technique to md2''s and other keyframe animated models? Thanx alot! ~Jason
www.jinx.com www.thebroken.org www.suprnova.org www.mozilla.org
Advertisement
first, you need to use skeletal animation, keyframed MD2''s won''t work.

Then you add premade animation to that skeleton and then add IK to fix the animation.
Ragdoll physics is just an instance of IK.
Normaly there are no premade animations for sliping down stares or floping over rails so in that case IK takes over 100%

Well that''s the theory anyway.
It would be nice, if someone knew some tutorial websites on this topic. I guess its relatively new, so nobody had time to explore it.

"I''ve read about...doom being used to manage unix programs(you "kill" the processes)" dede
Ragdoll physics are very difficult to implement. It''s not Inverse Kinematic but Inverse Dynamics. If you havent implemented constraint based rigid bodies before, forget about ragdoll physics.
Ragdoll physics is not new. Games like Hitman and Rainbox Six have been using it. I don''t know the link, but there are many java demos of the basics of ragdoll physics (in 2D not 3D). I think if you go to the Havok physics library website they have a demo of ragdoll physics.
Ragdoll physics is very similar to the rope physics tutorial here on NeHe, except instead of all the physics points connected in a row, the points are multi-connected into a humaniod frame shape.
Recently there''s a physics tutorial at gamasutra that also covered the ragdoll physic.

http://www.gamasutra.com/resource_guide/20030121/jacobson_01.shtml
you could try Open Dynamics Engine
[size="1"]
Visit http://taat.fi/taat/porrasturvat for a pretty funny/interesting example

---
K-1 Productions: Come visit us here.
---K-1 Productions: Come visit us here.
I am currently using Open Dynamics Engine for my Thesis in Human Motion Simulation. Can anyone tell me the difference of this engine to other engines?

Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement