Switching to Java.

Started by
12 comments, last by SSJCORY 21 years ago
The only reason I''m taking Java is because my school got rid of their C++ class because of the God Damn College Board. I could give a damn about the college board. But i''ll take what I can get. Anyone know why the college standard was changed to Java?

Favorite Quotes:Gandalf: You shall not pass!|Gollum: My Precious!|Smeagol: My little hobbitses.|
Favorite Quotes:Gandalf: You cannot pass!|Smeagol: We don't need you!|Sloth: Hey you guys!|
Advertisement
Because java is language with built in safety mechanisms to prevent idiot programmers from mucking up things. For example, no pointers, and you have to explicitly convert stuff all the time. It''s a total pain in the ass.

That and it''s an internet language, and a lot of people realize that java is not a replacement for c++. Hehe
*Only in darkness can one truely shine*
quote:Original post by SSJCORY
The only reason I''m taking Java is because my school got rid of their C++ class because of the God Damn College Board. I could give a damn about the college board. But i''ll take what I can get. Anyone know why the college standard was changed to Java?

It''s increasingly used in business apps, and therefore demanded that fresh graduates know it. Java has strengths and weaknesses like any other language - one weakness is that it isn''t particularly good for real time apps (ie games) due to unpredicatable garbage collection etc.
"I pretend to work, they pretend to pay me."
You''ll be able to pick up and read/write java code almost instantly. However it''ll take some time before you are "thinking in java" or rather using the cool things about java to make your coding easier. I grumbled for a while when we started using java at work, but after reading some books and working on some projects, Im in love with it now.

Dont pay attention to the "java is too slow" thing. Just learn the langauge and see what it can do. It has its strengths and weaknesses just like C++ or any other langauge. Its all about finding the right tool for the right job.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement