• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turt99

Lua or Python

This topic is 5654 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m going to be researching Scripting Languages and I was wondering, which of these two is most Popular? My goal is to learn a system that is going to be the most useful outside of my project.. The project I''ll be using the scripting in is just a simple 2D RGP (Adventure) engine.. I don''t want to spend the time learning both I''d rather learn one really well.. Which of the 2 would you suggest and which of the 2 is going to be the most usefull for other projects.. The game engine will be written in C++ if that makes a difference.. and the entire project will have a Object Oriented Design if that helps in the decision Please visit Turt99 Productions

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
You should use Python because thats what I use.

"If there is a God, he is a malign thug."
-- Mark Twain

Well thats a great reason to use it... is there a reason why you choose to use Python? or are you using it because someone told you that they use it?

Please visit Turt99 Productions

quote:
Original post by Hazelnuss
*lol*

I would go for Lua... it is smaller, faster and IMHO easier to use with C/C++.

Those are very strong points for Lua, so would you say that they are about the same in Popularity and Usefullness?

Python from what I''ve seen is its own langauge more so then Lua it seems.. (if that really makes any sence) .. Anyways at this point I think I''m going to lean towards Lua..

Please visit Turt99 Productions

I havent used Python at all, but ive heard alot of good things about it, and it has been used in commercial titles.

From what ive heard its probably too "powerful" for simple scripting, but thats just extrapolation. And besides this very fact might make it more useful to know in terms of stand alone languages.

Lua is extremelly simple and easy to use, and from what im learning about it, it still seems possible to do more sophisticated stuff with it(simple objects etc).

I would suggest comparing Python syntax vs Lua syntax and decide what you like best, if you still cant decide, take a look at basic embedding tutorials for both languages and see which API you prefer.

[edited by - ziphnor on April 1, 2003 3:19:39 PM]

Python is the heftier language, for better or worse. It scales extremely well. If you need a simple language, Python can do a great job of it; all its extra bells and whistles obligingly stay out of the way if you don't care about them. For more complex things, those bells and whistles are easy to (ab)use.

If executable size is an issue, then Python may not be for you.

I've not embedded Lua myself, but the API didn't really impress me much. (manually messing with stacks... egh) Lua has an undeniably smaller storage footprint, however. (my copy of python22.dll is 800kb)

I'm hip because I say "M$" instead of "MS".

[edited by - the speed bump on April 1, 2003 12:41:09 AM]

LUA.... 1000000%

Did python, and if you feel like wasting time with embedding it, by all means. Yes it is powerful, yes it scales well, yes you can write extensions (same with LUA). But for ease of use it ain''t.

Python took me a few days to grasp, few more to embed. LUA I had going inside of an hour.

LUA is super tiny. It uses a very simple stack mechanism to get things going, and embedding it is so easy you don''t even have to use packages like toLUA if you can program out of a paper bag.

Not to mention fast. Python is fast, but its bloated as well.

Thems the facts from my skewed perspective.

"Five passengers set sail that day, for a three hour tour, a three hour tour...."

I am currently also doing some investigations into which scripting language to use.

LUA seems to be build for the purpose of embedding it in to your own program where as Python is a standalone programming language with the possibility to embed.

LUA seems much small and also simpler (which is what I need in my "game").

Both languages are here to stay so I say you take a short look at them both (spend one day with LUA and one with Python) and then make your decision.

If you still can't decide you go for the one you think has the coolest name ... kiddin'

[edited by - TWN on April 2, 2003 3:23:40 AM]

What are your needs? If all you want is a flexible language to make portions of your codebase more dynamic (runtime evaluation without compilation), then Lua is more than adequate. If you want a powerful extension of your development process into an introspective environment, rapid prototyping and access to a host of functionality, choose Python.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!