I've Decided to Learn Visual Basic

Started by
40 comments, last by Machaira 21 years, 1 month ago
Mindless and uneducated bashing of programming languages makes you look almost as cool as spelling Microsoft with an $.

[My site|SGI STL|Bjarne FAQ|C++ FAQ Lite|MSDN|Jargon]
Ripped off from various people
[size=2]
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Drevay
Can I just do with VB6 for now?

Emphatically, yes!

Check out the tutorials (as was mentioned before) at DirectX4VB

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

quote:Original post by Drevay
All languages based on BASIC today (DarkBASIC, BlitzBASIC, VB, etc..), are signifigantly slower than C++/C/etc...

< clears throat > Bull***t!!! Tests done by the Visual Studio Magazine (back when it was just the VB Programmer's Journal) and various sites have proved that beginning with VB6, it isn't that much slower than C++ in many areas (none of which are going to noticeable) and actually beat it slightly in some. If you're going to say something like "signficantly" make sure you think about it before you say it and can back it up.

Here's an interesting article - Why VB I got a chuckle with the "if you want speed why aren't you writing in Assembler" part. Although not all of the points are still valid (I'm assuming it's fairly old) some of them are. The Visual C++ compiler has improved, but VB is still much easier in many areas. It's not a "toy" language any longer, it's got some power now with the hooks to DirectX. More than enough for most hobbyists.

Check here for more good VB stuff using an existing engine - Revolution3D Engine

[edited by - Machaira on April 3, 2003 7:46:53 AM]

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement