Problems with Delete...

Started by
5 comments, last by Erzengeldeslichtes 21 years, 1 month ago
I appologize if this has been asked before, but apparently the search for this forum doesn't like me. (Compiler: Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0) I have a class that has a pointer to a pointer to an object (**object). In this class's create member function, it creates a temp **object, and then news an array that's one larger than the member **object array. It then moves all the pointers over to the temp **object, deletes the member **object and replaces it with the temp one. My problem is that every single delete (even the ones in the destructer) causes an assertion failure (Edit: Usually when I click debug it's somewhere in the middle of the delete statement and it says "User breakpoint called"). What is this and why is it doing it?

//stripped down version

class Universe
{
private:
	object **objectList;
	int objectCount;
public:
	Universe();
	~Universe();
	void Create();
};

Universe::Universe()
{
	objectList=NULL;
	objectCount=0;
}

Universe::~Universe()
{
	for(int i=0; i<objectCount;i++)
	{
		delete objectList[i];
	}
	delete[]objectList;
}
void Universe::Create()
{
	object **templist;
	templist = new object*[objectCount];
	if(objectList != null)
	{
		for(int i=0; i<objectCount; i++)
		{
			templist[i] = objectList[i];
		}
		delete[]objectList;
	}
	templist[objectCount] = new object;
	objectList = templist;
	objectCount++;
}

Thanks for any assistance. Erzengel des Lichtes Archangel of Light [edited by - Erzengeldeslichtes on April 2, 2003 2:03:57 AM] [edited by - Erzengeldeslichtes on April 2, 2003 2:15:22 AM] [edited by - Erzengeldeslichtes on April 2, 2003 2:29:32 AM]
----Erzengel des Lichtes光の大天使Archangel of LightEverything has a use. You must know that use, and when to properly use the effects.♀≈♂?
Advertisement
Hi!
What you''re doing wrong is mismatching pointers with pointers to pointers. I suppose you''d expect your Create() to work more or less like this:

object **templist;

if(objectList != null) {

for(int i=0; i<objectCount; i++) {
templist = objectList;<br>}<br>delete[]objectList;<br><br>}<br><br>templist[objectCount] = new object;<br>objectList = templist;<br>objectCount++;<br><br><br>Hope this helps. </i>
Maciej Sawitus
my blog | my games
This:

should be:

templist = new object*[objectCount+1];

But with the use of STL, your Create-function could be

{
objectList.push_back(new object);
}
quote:Original post by Erzengeldeslichtes
{
object **templist;
templist = new object[ objectCount ];
if(objectList != null)
{
for(int i=0; i<objectCount; i++)
{
templist = objectList;<br> }<br> delete[]objectList;<br> }<br> templist[ objectCount ] = new object*;<br> objectList = templist;<br> objectCount++;<br>}<br> <hr height=1 noshade></SPAN></BLOCKQUOTE> <br><br><tt>templist = new object[ objectCount ]</tt> should not compile because templist is an <tt>object **</tt> and <tt>new object[objectCount]</tt> returns a <tt>object *</tt>.<br><tt>new object[ objectCount ]</tt> should be <tt>new object*[ objectCount<b>+1</b> ]</tt><br><tt>new object[ objectCount ]</tt>
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Your Create function is in a bit of a pickle here, because on the one hand you have a variable that keeps track of the number of objects you currently have, while on the other hand you need to know the number of objects in the old array so that the copy can be successful. The first time you call Create, objectCount is 0 and I have no idea how that affects your new allocation.

You can either use two seperate variables, or simply increment objectCount first, use it as the effective new size, and use objectCount-1 as the old size AND newest index. Here's a simple re-write:

void Universe::Create(){	object **templist;        objectCount++; // Represents new object count	templist = new object*[objectCount];	if(objectList != null)	{		// Only go up to objectCount-1, because that's                // all the OLD array had                for(int i=0; i<objectCount-1; i++)		{			templist[i] = objectList[i];		}		delete[]objectList;	}	templist[objectCount-1] = new object;	objectList = templist;}      

Untested, but I hope it works!

EDIT: In light of the other posts, just made logic changes, might still be other errors I overlooked for the greater good

[edited by - Zipster on April 2, 2003 2:27:54 AM]
Thanks for all the help. Many posts I caught on my own when running through a test program with JUST my universe code. To the last poster:
That worked perfectly! I suppose I forgot that an object[5] ends up being object[0]-[4]. I remembered that arrays started at 0, but didn't remember that array definitions started at 1. I ended up just modifying my code so that it newed an array of objectNumber+1.

Thanks all!

[edited by - Erzengeldeslichtes on April 2, 2003 2:37:26 AM]
----Erzengel des Lichtes光の大天使Archangel of LightEverything has a use. You must know that use, and when to properly use the effects.♀≈♂?
And I implement the fix in my larger program and I don''t have any problems with my creation code but when it comes time to delete... I get a "debug asertion failed". I don''t understand it, it''s exactly the same as posted above (with the fix of correct array size) but in the simple program it works and in the complex one it doesn''t. Oig.

After doing alot of step-throughes, I find that it creates the object fine, it gets to delete object[0]; and, even though it shows in my variable list a full fledged object in object[0] it still gives me an asertion failure. Anyone have any idea?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement