2D and DirectX 8 or directX9

Started by
4 comments, last by zip7000 21 years ago
hi, I learnt DirectX 7 and now I would like to go to directX 8 or 9. But I read that We talk now about directx Graphics instead of DirectDraw. So I wonder how we are supposed to create a 2D application. I know that we can alsways use directDraw but I was wondering if there is a new way to proceed. thank you!!!!
Advertisement
You can do 2D in Direct3D just ignore one of the three axises (oh and use ortho projection matrices not the regular kind )
Take a look at my website here and hopefully this will get you moving in the right direction. I hope to have more content available soon, too.

Regards,
Sharky

---
#define _WEBSITE
Sharky's Coding Corner
#endif
---

[edited by - Sharky on April 2, 2003 1:38:44 PM]
quote:Original post by zip7000
I learnt DirectX 7 and now I would like to go to directX 8 or 9. But I read that We talk now about directx Graphics instead of DirectDraw. So I wonder how we are supposed to create a 2D application. I know that we can alsways use directDraw but I was wondering if there is a new way to proceed.
DirectX8 has no native support of DirectDraw. I heard there is DirectDraw9, but I don't know what are the differences between DirectDraw7 and DirectDraw9.
What I am doing is 2D in Direct3D, and that's what I suggest. Not only you still do the good old 2D, but also you know some 3D stuff and how to use them (such as lighting, alpha channel, rotation, transformation, etc). At the end, if you decide to move to 3D, you won't be shocked. And remember, even a 3D game still requires some 2D elements in it (life bar, score, etc).

EDIT: Nice website Sharky

Current project: 2D in Direct3D engine.
% completed: ~40%

[edited by - alnite on April 2, 2003 1:52:44 PM]
thank you!
that is a nice website, sharky...
Programmers of the world, UNTIE!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement