Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

BEst language for socket programming?

Started by raj74 Apr 7, 2003 at 3:38 AM 8 replies 5.1k views
Original Post
raj74
raj74
Hi guys, I would like to know which is the best socket programming language. Which chould also support porting in multiple platform. regards raj74
Sneftel
Sneftel
Ah, "which is the best" questions. So much wonder. So much idealism.

One of these is probably the best: C, C++, Eiffel, Java, Lisp, Modula-2, Perl, Python, Scheme, TCL, Visual Basic.

EDIT: Visual Basic isn't as cross-platform.


How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

[edited by - sneftel on April 7, 2003 4:41:09 AM]
cbenoi1
cbenoi1
> How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

From LucasArts'' "Monkey Island", I presume ?

-cb
granat
granat
quote:
Original post by cbenoi1
From LucasArts'' "Monkey Island", I presume ?



Yes

-------------Ban KalvinB !
LadaYadaYo
LadaYadaYo
yeah, i know not at all on topic, but does anyone else agree that Lucas Arts should give up on the Star Wars series and move back to the point and click adventure games? the Monkey Island series is the best....

Oop! Eek! Eek! Chee!
Oop! Eek! Eek! Chee!
dede
dede
quote:
Original post by raj74
I would like to know which is the best socket programming language

Since you are from an arabic speaking country, I''m going to assume you ment, "Which library is the best for networking"

Then the answer, IMHO, is:

BSD Sockets(they are implelented pretty much the same on every system)

HawkNL(sp?)

and any library built on BSD Sockets, there is about a billion
cyrax256
cyrax256
With Java creating Sockets and ServerSockets is as easy as creating just another object

Mac for productivity
Linux for development
Palm for mobility
Windows... for the Solitaire
granat
granat
[removed because I misunderstood the above poster]

[edited by - granat on April 8, 2003 7:23:45 AM]
-------------Ban KalvinB !
Max_Payne
Max_Payne
Socket programming in C++ with BSD sockets is good, thats what they use in most modern games I believe.

I wont say its the most easy, but socket programming is nothing really mind boggling.



Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com

[edited by - Max_Payne on April 8, 2003 9:46:44 AM]

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.