Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Halo novel.

Started by Shotokan Apr 7, 2003 at 8:05 PM 10 replies 1.8k views
Original Post
Shotokan
Shotokan
I bought the Halo official novel today from Borders. I was on my way out the door, and it seem to have a blinking shine to get my attention, like the items you collect in Resident Evil games. Are videogame books a normal thing? This is the first time I''ve ever seen something like this. Anyway, its only 6.99.
Shotokan
Shotokan
This one i have is called Halo: The Flood, apparently there is another called Halo: The Fall of Reach. It says its the prequel though.
Peon
Peon
quote:
Original post by Shotokan
...it seem to have a blinking shine to get my attention, like the items you collect in Resident Evil games.


Haha, I like that; nice analogy

I don''t find a Halo book too appealing (is there a story there? Never played it) , but I know there are some other game books out there. I know I must have seen more, but off the top of my head, the obvious ones are the Blizzard ones. They have books based on Starcraft, Diablo, and Warcraft. I''ve read one of the Warcraft ones, and it was okay. Not the best, but it was a fun read because it had a lot of stuff from the WC universe (obviously).
Peon
Shotokan
Shotokan
Halo has a pretty nice story. I was reading the first chapter, and whenever Cortana spoke, I sorta imagined her voice talking me from the book... Sorta wierd, but cool. I guess to fully enjoy the book, you gotta finish the game. Or at least play it. I wonder if Metroid Prime will have a book. It would be fantastic.
MrPoopypants
MrPoopypants
Fall of Reach was a good book. Not outstandlingly awesomely great, but a definate read. The flood on the other hand is taken directly from the game (a friend of mine who is reading it said that al the dialouge comes directly from the game) and the new author gives new personalities which sucks, a third book is in the works i think though
(0110101101000110)The Murphy Philosophy: Smile . . . tomorrow will be worse.
threepointonefouronefive
threepointonefouronefive
Why do people read video game novels? Aren''t there enough great fiction stories as it is? I personally never get that much into a game.

------------------------
"Have you had PI today?" - Me
"THIS is why registration was disabled..." - Programmer One, referring to me
WACOM ROCKS!
------------------------"Have you had PI today?" - Me"THIS is why registration was disabled..." - Programmer One, referring to meWACOM ROCKS!
Shotokan
Shotokan
I''ve never read a video game novel before. I saw it on the shelf and decided to check it out.
rmsgrey
rmsgrey
There''s a novelisation of Doom out there - "Knee Deep In The Dead" - my local library had it, so I checked it out. Then I tried playing the game with the book open beside me... There are a few places you can tie to the game directly - my favourite being the room with the arc of explosive barrels and a collection of imps all looking the other way I believe there are also some Lemmings choose-your-own-adventure style gamebooks.
Walked
Walked
quote:
Original post by threepointonefouronefive
Why do people read video game novels? Aren''t there enough great fiction stories as it is? I personally never get that much into a game.


Agreed.. so much better out there, read some Clarke or something if you want some SciFi..
Ysaneya
Ysaneya
If you like the Halo concept.. why not read the book that inspired it (IMO) ? Larry Niven''s Ringworld is for you! I found a short introduction here:

http://www.rahul.net/rootbear/graphics/ringworld/rw0a.html

Y.
rmsgrey
rmsgrey
quote:
Original post by threepointonefouronefive
Why do people read video game novels? Aren''t there enough great fiction stories as it is? I personally never get that much into a game.



In my case, with the doom novelisation, mostly curiosity - it also added a little to the game - trying to play through "by the book"... not too successful since after the earlier levels, the narrative stops going into sufficient detail to figure out where the guy is, or even what level he''s on a couple of times.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.