What are your thoughts on Cg?

Started by
9 comments, last by Mathematix 21 years ago
I game a game programmer employed as something else in IT with the usual C, C++, OpenGL, DirectX, blah, blah. I''m thinking of investing some time in learning Cg. Does it have anything radically different over OpenGL/DirectX as opposed to use with OpenGL/DirectX apart from better suitability with DX9? Thanks y''all!
Advertisement
Just bought the book!!
I just got the book too. Tried the first sample though. Seems like a nice langauge. But I think I''m going to use glSlang in the end, as it seems to resemble C/C++ closer.

I don''t have a signature
I don't have a signature
I''m prepared to give anything related to nVidia and C a try. Sayiong that, i am still reluctant to stray from the traditional methods of game development.
Cg doesn''t work so hot (at all, as far as I can tell) on Radeon 8500s. I''ll wait for glSlang. (or get a new video card)

I''m hip because I say "M$" instead of "MS".
"There is only one everything"
I don''t think it''s Cg that''s bad on the 8500, it''s just that the 8500 is running first gen vert/pix shaders. you''d probably get similar performance on a GF3. They''re just old cards now.
Oh well, it should be fine on my GF4 Ti4600. A nice little reassurance.
Check out Cg 1.1
They fixed a lot of the radeon codegen problems.
quote:Original post by Mathematix
Oh well, it should be fine on my GF4 Ti4600. A nice little reassurance.

minus DX9 shaders...
No problem about the shaders. After all, if a game is that engrossing you will not notice all the eye candy!

The usual stuff goes here for a signature.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement