programming questions

Started by
3 comments, last by abd9e4790f 21 years ago
hey, i have a few questions about programming i''d like to ask. I wanna start learning how to make basic windows apps using c++ but i''m not quite sure where to start. If i learn just basic c++ from a book like, sams teach yourself c++ in 21 days, would that teach me how to make windows programs to? or just console apps. Whats the difference between c++ and visual c++. Is visual c++ the microsoft compiler? or is it another programming language. Basicly what i want to do is to be able to code programs with simple UIs. but i dont quite know where to start. Can anyone reccomend some good books as well? Thanks.
Advertisement
Learning "basic" C++ will teach you to make console apps, not Windows apps. You have to already know how to make console apps before you move on to Windows programming. Visual C++ is the Microsoft compiler, not another language. Start by learning how to make console apps.
micepick has a good opinion. You do not want to dive into the world of Windows, until you learned the language first. if you cannot afford visual C++, then download a free one from borland or bloodshed.net. After learning the language (enough to create an app or a lot of them is even better), then you should be able to understand and code for windows. When you get into windows coding, there are two different paths you can take. Go all hardcore and learn Win32 or learn MFC, or learn both.

Taking a class in C/C++ will be useful (no pun intended =)

good luck.

The nightmare travels across the cosmos with his burning mane. The trail of ash that is produced.

?Have a nice day!?

Windows game programming for dumbies is perfect for your situation. Half of the book is just on how to write a working windows application, and writing event and message handlers, classes and window structures, and how to read in graphics. Its only 45 bucks CANADIAN so most people can afford it.

[edited by - kriptek on April 19, 2003 10:22:20 PM]

[edited by - kriptek on April 19, 2003 10:22:32 PM]
Finally, All done.WhaVObK! *&%#! 239 compile errors?
I would suggest:

Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus (2nd Edition)
by Andre LaMothe

I also have the Dummie one but this one is WAY better (and a whole lot BIGGER, like tome big).

Where beginning game developers go.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement