🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Kid Programmer

Started by
28 comments, last by Gazebo 24 years ago
I started C at 10 years old. Didn''t find it too difficult. If he can use RCXCC he will probably already be a bit used to it''s C-like syntax. However, there is a relatively new program called Games Factory from ClickTeam. It has an interface similar to Klik and Play but it supports more advanced features and scrolling. You might try that.
Advertisement
I too would be tempted to say forget about using these game development studio type software and invest in some C/C++ lessons and a good book or two.

There will never be a substitute for development in a language 8)
-----------------------------------------------All messages are of my own personal opinion and not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)Neuro.
How old is your son again? If he''s older, say 10 or 11, he might like to make games with real *graphics*. I wouldn''t waste your time with QBasic. You can''t do a whole lot, and its VERY outdated. Visual Basic is a good option. It was also my first language, and now with support for DirectX, your son could build a rudimentary knowledge of the language, and then move into DirectX programming, which would make some very neat graphical programs. Definitely give your kid Visual Basic before he gets C or C++. Those can be very frustrating at first, and are very technical compared to VB. Your son might become impatient. Also, graphics in C++ are very hard to implement compared to the relative ease of Visual Basic. As for Dark Basic, well, it''s not really programming at all, it''s really only an interface for someone else''s engine. I laugh at my little bro when he tries to "program" in Dark Basic because its so fake. Well, hope this helps you some.
I believe I was 8 or 9 when I started with GW basic. Then at 10 I started QBasic. QBasic is a fun and easy language to play with since you it has okay graphic and sound system. Plus after learning Qbasic, which teaches u the basics of programming you can switch to VB, which is more advanced, and at the same time as easy to use. After learning one language completely it is very easy to switch to other languages. For now I recommend QBasic. I am 18 years old and so far I have worked with VB and VC and VinterDev mainly.
DiV game programming studio... seems like a pretty powerful toolkit, mode 7 scaling, split screen... it''s only for DOS though so if your soundcard doesn''t work well under a DOS prompt don''t bother.

-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
QBasic 4.5
You want it ?
I got it.
You want QBassic 7.1 ?
I got it.
I started computers at 10ish, and qbasic was the first ''real'' programming lang I worked in. I`m not that hot in it, but it has a great help system. After that he will probably have a good idea of whats involved.
Or, theres QuickC.
Its much more difficult, but closer to the real world.
I`m doing some stuff in it now...
It still is easier that either VB or W32 C++.
I have a version of LOGO, and its a confusing compiler, but I still dont reccomend it.
The truly best way, i think is to get a modifiable game, like Unreal:Tournament or Quake 3 and let him play with the already developed tools so he can make levels, skins, scripts.
Fast, fairly easy, and induitably fun.

I came, I saw, I got programmers block.
~V''lion
~V'lionBugle4d
Well, I started basic at 7, got VB3.0 when i was 9, couldnt do much with it, didnt really mess with it but, i picked it up again(6.0) when i was 13 and now that I have VC, I dont know where to start, any suggestions on where to learn DX programming under C++? also, some information on the higer level things in C++ would be nice(classes...)
-Bucky
Bucky0@aol.com
If your son likes the first person type of games, maybe try 3D GameStudio at www.conitec.com. I tried a much older version, and you could make Doom-like games with zero programming. Plus it''s a free trial, so nothing to lose! Later.
I don''t really suggest basic even though I started with it because it might be sort of confusing. I suggest Java because it is more "real-world" and will prepare him for C++. Or, if you have the cash, You could buy Macromedia director. You can make great games, and it even has a scripting language called Lingo.
Check it out.
I began programming with 3 or 4(now I''m 13). I learned the basics of BASIC in a MSX. I think the best way is to make''im learn programming bit by bit, and then when he knows C++ a little, he can finally make his game. I stopped in time of programming from age of 5 to 12, so I''m yet learning. But my "square-oriented" game(something like pokemon) test is working.

Thanks, Arthur(rockslave)
import money.*;#include "cas.h"uses bucks;

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement