Perl ?

Started by
2 comments, last by AndreTheGiant 20 years, 12 months ago
I need to brush up on my Perl programming for an upcoming job. What would be a good, preferably interesting (small-medium sized) project to get me up to speed again? Also, any useful website recommendations would be nice.
Advertisement
Perl is such a utility language. If you can find out what your potential hirer does, I would look for perl modules and tasks geared to their line of business.

www.perl.org

Good place for current Perl happenings, always good to be aware of the current trends in the language for the job.

http://www.perl.com/pub/q/documentation

I''d go here and go over Perl''s built-in functions for review. Knowing as many builtins as you can will help.

You could also review CPAN. Again, find out what the company does and look for modules that relate to those technologies (CGI module is probably one of the most common ones for Perl webbies).

Int.
Depending upon how much time you have, the Perl Cookbook from O''Reilly might give you some good pointers if you already know perl.
Those are both great suggestions for going over the concepts (I especially like the Perl Cookbook) but sometimes the best way to get back into the groove of a language you haven''t used in a while is to do something with it...

If you have access to a web server and a cgi-bin directory, a generalized subroutine for parsing out standard input from a form post is not only good practice but also *very* useful.

If not, try something that will send email or parse a directory tree. I am a Teacher''s Assistant at my university, so I routinely write grading scripts in perl for the CSC projects my students have to code; it''s great practice... maybe you could try to traverse a directory tree and perform some function on the files in each directory based on their extension.

Or, maybe a text-based mini-Explorer type project... that would take a little longer but would cover more bases.

Good luck!
Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming: "Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran program contains an ad-hoc, informally-specified bug-ridden slow implementation of half of Common Lisp."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement