Anyone here think they are as good as the ID programers?

Started by
52 comments, last by Enlighter 20 years, 11 months ago
Hello,

Well making a Quake like game by your self is of course close to impossible. These projects use maybe 40 people over a really long period of time. As for Id Software, they''d never use co-workers that aren''t top of the line when it comes to 3D graphics or whatever. So I''d say they have really really good knowledge in that particular area. But when it comes to being a good coder, that''s a totally different issue. What is the definition of being a good coder? Writing the fastest most effective and ugliest code, i''d say Carmack fits in nicely in this category. Or is it writing really nice code that is easy to maintain and is perfectly clear? I''m not sure what the definition and I''m quite biased myself. I really strive to create the fastest code possible, but I really really like nice looking and managable code aswell.

Regards,
Deficte
Regards,
Deficte
Advertisement
quote:Original post by deadalive
"but dont be surprised if they start laughing the moment they see you use opengl or directx."

Yes I have to agree about this statement. What the heck other API do you think you can use besides these two?! These ID programmers do not have a magic rendering API that beats opengl and DX they write opengl and DX code just like us mortals..

Not when they wrote Quake 1. That was a software renderer.

Writing Quake 1 style games has become a lot easier since hardware acceleration. Any fool can do Quake graphics on a Geforce 3. Getting it to run on the hardware they had at Quake 1''s publishing? That takes a lot of skill.

I can think of better ways to code looking at their source code. However, it is hard to say. There is no contact information on their site. Thus, there is no way to ask.

Scott
Scott SimontisMy political blog
I can think of better ways to code looking at their source code. However, it is hard to say. There is no contact information on their site. Thus, there is no way to ask.

Scott
Scott SimontisMy political blog
i think mr specilton is a morion
This entire thread is simply tiring to read. If this were slashdot, nearly every post would be modded either flamebait or redundant.

unkn.Enigma1625
unkn.Enigma1625
Then thank god this is not slashdot. I think everyone should be free to state an oppinion and not get mod:ed. It''s everyones right to choose what he/she wants to read, not a mod to edit close to everyting. Agreed that some administration is needed, but on a limited scale.

Regards,
Deficte
Regards,
Deficte
In order for me to prorgam something like Quake IV, you''d have to create a technique of learning via osmosis, and make me sleep on a ton of books. Then you''d need to be The Mule or something to get my brain usage up to 100%. Then you would have to have an IDE that bypasses typing and gets its input directly from my brain (which would be thinking in complete code, as I would forget English and how to talk).

If you do all of this, then it should take me about a year to create Quake IV.
[email=dumass@poppet.com]dumass@poppet.com[/email]
I''ve seen a few posts mention quake 4, you guys do know that raven is making quake 4 and it will probably be using the doom 3 engine, so it''s not really going to be a game from id.

id has excellent coders and I would say the same for epic games and blizzard as well. I am nowhere near the level of these guys, I have tons more to learn.

digital radiation
quote:Original post by deadalive
"but dont be surprised if they start laughing the moment they see you use opengl or directx."

I have to agree with Joe Forhens about this statement. What the heck other API do you think you can use besides these two?! These ID programmers do not have a magic rendering API that beats opengl and DX they write opengl and DX code just like us mortals..

as you can see, there actually are people that can not only read but even do so. maybe you''ve seen that comment about quoting out of context? no? so i will explain it again: im talking about quake. yes _quake_.. no 2, no 3.. just quake. and now stop making me feel old because i grew up when decent realtime 3d was pretty impossible and remember that quake _1_ was using a software engine. go back to that time, use a et6000 and see how far opengl will get you.

f@dzhttp://festini.device-zero.de

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement