check out my character design & animation

Started by
9 comments, last by monkeyography 20 years, 11 months ago
Been working a bunch lately on this character for my bomberman-ish 3d game. That's the concept for the three characters, but so far I only have real progress on the boy. They're all little wind-up-toy disconnected-body-part beetle-like things. Here are some shots of him within the game engine. They're mostly zoom-in's, the overhead view is what they actually looks like when you're playing the game. Still working on color for him (there's a prototype in the background) you can also check out a clip of him with some animations put end to end if it would make you happy (captured in Maya, he's not fully inked yet here). Most people tell me that he's confusing, then I say that those are goggles on his head, the little triangles are eyes, and they go "oooooooooooooh! he's cute. but confusing." so i think I'm taking the goggles off. Anyway, what do you think? [edited by - monkeyography on May 3, 2003 7:47:28 AM]
Advertisement
Cool concept. Haven''t check the anims though.
Uhhh...
Very nice concept. The animation''s excellent too. The models look like they''re textured with hand-drawn images, which I really like. Keep up the good work

Coding Stuff ->  [ iNsAn1tY Games | DarkVertex | How To Do CSG | Direct3D Vs. OpenGL | Google ]
Fun Stuff    ->  [ Evil T-Shirts | Stick-Based Comedy | You''re Already Here | The Best Film Reviews ]
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]
If you make better textures, the models dont have to be so detailed. Nice work!

.lick
Looks great! Good concept.

This is officially the FOURTH bomberman clone in progress that I''ve come across this week.

Maybe something is trying to tell me to do a bomberman clone myself.
make the eyes more visible, giving them a bright color or something, then it will be much easier to "get it"
Great job! Stay at it.
thanks for all comments!

Good idea making the eyes brighter, maybe I''ll make them seperate geometry that floats a bit in front of the head too and see how that looks. Not sure how i could be any less detailed on the model (550 triangle polys), the protruding goggle-eyes are the only parts that aren''t a solid featureless body part. (maybe the key could be a 2d texture with alpha?)

It''s not a full-on bomberman clone, I was just playing a lot of bomberman when I designed it so they have similarities. Square tile grid but instead of placing down bombs you place down gun turrets that fire at the opponent if he crosses their line of fire. Points and extra turrets randomly appear throughout the board and you try to outscore your opponent or stop him from outscoring you via strategic turret placement.

For now it''s 2-player only on the same keyboard (cause I want to focus more on graphics than AI or networking) and you folks can try the 2 year old OpenGL prototype if you''d like. It''s terribly prototype though, this version will be *polished*.
v.nice. what modeller did you use to do the 3d animations?

"Sweetie! Get Mommy''s bazooka!"
"16 days?? that's almost two weeks!!" Tucker
Maya dear sir, Maya. My school (Rochester Institute of Technology) has a terribly sweet 3D lab.

Also, I recently removed the goggles because no one understood that they were not his eyes. Also, I finished his texturing. Each player in the game is supposed to have a unique color so here are the red & blue skins for this model. What do you folks think?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement