• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mixing .NET 2002 and .NET 2003

This topic is 5467 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I bought Visual C++.net a year ago. A month ago, I decided to learn C#, and I thought that I should wait for the 2003 release in April. Is this going to bring up any incompatibility between the two? I know that I can install both side by side, but can I call managed C++ code (.NET 2002) from C# (.NET 2003) in this case? And while we're at it, can VC++ 2002 exploit the new .NET framework, or is it stuck with the old version? EDIT: Also, before someone mentions it, I have the academic version of VC++, so I'm not eligible for an upgrade, and I have an academic budget that wouldn't appreciate buying the new version. Cédric [edited by - cedricl on May 3, 2003 10:47:33 PM]

Advertisement
I also have an ``academic" vertion of MSVS 7 .net. as far as I know, it can do the NET Framework 1.0 all the way (if you have the SDK update)

There *may* be some incompatibility between the .net 1.0 and .net 1.1(http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/changeinfo/default.aspx)

Yes you can use the .net 1.1 framework with VS 2002 (I forget the "easy" way to do it but I know you can change the .net libraries in the solution explorer by deleting them and then manually finding the 1.1 libraries and referancing them.) I know I saw a way to do it so it was automatic but I forgot where it was sorry

In VS 2003 you can choose which framework to use (for C#) in the project properties page. I *think* this is somthing they are adding for the update for VS 2002 but don't quote me on it.

[edited by - djkno3 on May 4, 2003 5:31:32 AM]

Ah, so if C# 2002 and C# 2003 are the same price, I have no reason to buy the former, have I?

Cédric

[edited by - cedricl on May 4, 2003 5:54:24 PM]

• Advertisement