what do u think about my engine idea?

Started by
33 comments, last by kiehl 21 years ago
quote:Original post by Illumini
2) CWizard posted a link to Yann''s engine. Yann IS A PROFFESIONAL. He might be a one man team, but he is a pro none the less. You can let his engine be something to aim for, but dont be disappointed if yours looks like crap next to it
Just trying to provide some inspiration + there were some interesting discussions about its structure that might interest the OP, as he seems to like research.
Advertisement
i saw that the other day

yann engine is amazing, and more amazing than the engine is yann answering all questions

it would be great if he write some articles about the engine

( i also hope he was a wishlist at amazon )

[edited by - kiehl on May 6, 2003 6:08:59 PM]
my english sucks :(
Ok, here''s what I''ve seen here, constantly. Someone says they want to make a 3d engine and then a whole bunch of people say, "You''ll fail!!!" or "You need to know a lot more than you do!!!"... Well, what I say is get started!!! You can read and read, but the only way to really learn is to do. Yeah, you''re first project probably will fail (I''m going on hearsay on this), but people learn from failures. That''s the whole point. We learn the "correct" way of doing things by first doing them the wrong way, and often then another wrong way, and then another... but, eventually you get it.
---------------------------------------------------There are 10 kinds of people in the world:Those that understand binary, and those that dont...Mage
quote:Original post by Mage2k
Ok, here''s what I''ve seen here, constantly. Someone says they want to make a 3d engine and then a whole bunch of people say, "You''ll fail!!!" or "You need to know a lot more than you do!!!"... Well, what I say is get started!!! You can read and read, but the only way to really learn is to do. Yeah, you''re first project probably will fail (I''m going on hearsay on this), but people learn from failures. That''s the whole point. We learn the "correct" way of doing things by first doing them the wrong way, and often then another wrong way, and then another... but, eventually you get it.

Point taken. But we (the people who tell beginners to slow down) have learned from experience that failing from trying to make the next Quake or MMORPG as a first project doesn''t get you anywhere and are just giving our honest input to what we think would be best for the beginner.

What is yann''s engine?

- Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Go through .obj first, then think about .md3! Plan a lot about tri strips at the beginning, they can make frustum/oclusion culling real pain in a$$!

Concerning ARB_fp, using NV30 emu everything is calculated on CPU, I have PII-350@434, so 1 frame takes me avg. 2 secs to render. I tried that & I can''t bear that! Maybe testing game with 2 fps is enough for you, but definately not for me!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement