Is C a low-level or high-level language?

Started by
60 comments, last by rypyr 20 years, 11 months ago
With supporting arguments please... Regards, Jeff
Advertisement
C is a medium-level language because it offers direct hardware memory access but is procedurally structured. Thank you, drive through.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
Because two of my assembly books say so.
Neither. It''s a programming language.
It''s lower than VB, higher than assembly. I don''t know any language above assembly that''s lower-level than C. So I say it''s a low-level language.
I''m not sure if technically speaking "mid-level language" is a correct term or not, but referencing c++ many seem to consider it just that - a "mid-level language". By combining elements of high language constructs as well as hardware access makes it low level, I guess it "averages out" to mid level.
Well, R2D22U2..
C was originally a high level language in the 70s, but with modern languages like java and C#, i'd say it's more of a middle level language. High level and low level are subjective terms, so it's open to interpretation. Everyone would agree that assembly is low level and VB is high level; where you draw the line between those two is up to you. Historically, FORTRAN, Algol, and COBOL were all high level languages at the time of their creation.

[edited by - kdogg on May 5, 2003 11:49:08 PM]
hey kdogg, I have learned that C is considered low level and therefore is really higher than assembly. Thus it seems that the lowest level would be native code, then assembly, then an actual low level language like C, etc.

But maybe the authors I have learned from thus far are screwing me.
Well, R2D22U2..
VB is lowlevel because it has direct hardware access.

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net
quote:Original post by neurokaotix
VB is lowlevel because it has direct hardware access.

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net

Uhhh, WTF?
Well, R2D22U2..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement