Arguments for using C# over VB6

Started by
22 comments, last by daerid 20 years, 11 months ago
I need some. I am currently developing a CRM software application using VB6 for the company that I work for. I''ve run into a few snags using it, and would really like to convert the project over to C#. What I need is information I can use to support my statement that it would be an efficient and cost-effective move to make. I''d like to get some links / articles and such, if possible. Thanks in advance!
daerid@gmail.com
Advertisement
Why not use VB.NET and try the upgrade/conversion wizard. VB.NET is close enough to VB that you can make the change quicker.
Because I despise BASIC style languages with a passion, and I also have quite a bit of experience in C#
daerid@gmail.com
Switching from VB6 to C# is more than just changing the language. The application built with C# run under the .NET environment. This might or might not be something you like. Under .NET there is not much difference between the programming languages, as they all have to share a specific feature-set.

Comparing the syntax and the features of VB to C# I''d always use C# (which in fact I do *g*). To me, VB code is less readable with all its END this END that stuff. Coming from a C++ backround I like those curly brackets. Depending on what you have to do in your project, C# can win extremely as it has unsafe codeblocks, which allows some kind of low-level messin''.

However, I repeat myself: switching to .NET is mor than changing the language.

Regards,

Andre
Andre Loker | Personal blog on .NET
I know all that. What I need are arguments for convincing the decision makers in my company that it''s a good idea. That is all.

I know exactly what is required.
daerid@gmail.com
quote:Original post by daerid
What I need are arguments for convincing the decision makers in my company that it''s a good idea.

tell them it will save them money.
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
tell them:

- you can get the job done better and faster, due to your experience in C#.

- the use of .Net will help with maintenence issues in the future, as .Net will be is Microsoft''s primary technology push over the next 2-3 years.

- this project can serve as a proof of concept for C# .Net projects, and help other company members make the transition when the time comes (something to look at written in the company''s style and with a resident expert to ask questions).

- you can get the job done better and faster.

- did I say: you can get the job done better and faster.

quote:Original post by Xai
tell them:

- you can get the job done better and faster, due to your experience in C#.

- the use of .Net will help with maintenence issues in the future, as .Net will be is Microsoft''s primary technology push over the next 2-3 years.

- this project can serve as a proof of concept for C# .Net projects, and help other company members make the transition when the time comes (something to look at written in the company''s style and with a resident expert to ask questions).

- you can get the job done better and faster.

- did I say: you can get the job done better and faster.

Nice! Thanks
daerid@gmail.com
I dont get it if your going fast vb.net to c#, why not just jump straight to Java. Its more stable effecient and interchangable against platforms.

no offense but Java still rules way over c# and its handicapps. Or does MS say that its enhancements.

my 2 cents well maybe 1/2 a penny
quote:Original post by nick5454
Java. Its more stable effecient

And you base this on...?
quote:
and interchangable against platforms.

What''s that supposed to mean, anyway?

...and that is why I believe linux must be destroyed.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement