photoshop LE against the real deal

Started by
5 comments, last by neonstar 23 years, 10 months ago
can anyone give me any idea how much of a difference there is between photoshop LE and the full version? i''m thinking about buying LE and kinda want to know whether it''s worth the 90$. does anyone know what the full version costs? thanks, david
--david@neonstar.netneonstar entertainment
Advertisement
The full version of PS is pretty pricey. You''d probably be better off getting the Corel Draw 9 suite, which includes a vector AND a bitmap package, which are in my opinion just as good (if not better) than the adobe products, and are much cheaper. You can probably get CDS9 for around $400, if not cheaper.

-Nick Robalik
http://www.digital-soapbox.com
-Nick "digisoap" RobalikWeb & Print Design, 2D & 3D Illustration and Animation, Game Designhttp://www.digital-soapbox.com[email=nick@digital-soapbox.com]nick@digital-soabox.com[/email]
geez, if Corel is $400, then I really don''t think my heart could take what the full Photoshop is. My guess, though, is around $900... Thanks for the information, I think i''ll just hire someone to do art rather than do it myself, since I can''t really draw anyway... ;-)

And by the way, I checked out your site, Nick. VERY nice work. If I could afford it, i would contract you to do the artwork for my game. I love the 2D stills, but especially the 3D stills, because some look just like a real picture. Great work!

david
i think i saw corel draw 9 suite for $100 the other day. dont remember where though...id check out ebay or yahoo auctions.

Mark C. Ulrich
webmaster_minion@yahoo.com
http://www.thegamersheaven.bizland.com
The only major drawback to Photoshop LE is it lacks some of the functionality of the full version. Most of what it lacks really isn''t much to bitch about, but there have been times I''d kill to just be able to have LE do a drop shadow for me instead of having to do it by hand or to be able to use the snap to grid feature so I could easily do a text ring or even to have unlimited Undo. Aside from minor irritations like that it''s a wonderful program, IMHO it sure beats the sin out of Jasc Paintshop Pro (which is in the same price range).

However, if you''re really tight on cash and need a program I''d recommend hunting down the Windows version of the GNU Image Manipulation Program (or GIMP), or like I''ve done before, run a dual boot system, switch to Linux, use GIMP under Linux (more stable under Linux anyway), save the images as bitmaps, and then put ''em on a DOS readable diskette. That''s what I did until I got Photoshop LE, worked pretty well but it was a little irritating.

Hope I''ve been of some help.
Well, since we''re all to lazy to look at adobe''s site for the price, I finaly gave in.

Photoshop 5.5: $609
Photoshop LE 5.0: $95
PhotoDelux 2.0: $49

E:cb woof!
E:cb woof!
actually, Rath, i have both. i went and downloaded the windows version of the GIMP, which i must say is a good port, except that it is still a little buggy. i''ve had it crash on me a couple of times. on the other hand, i have linux with the GIMP installed there, too. my opinion of the GIMP is that it is a great graphics program, but it lacks alot for creating game art. i found it extremely useful for creating web graphics more than once, but as far as drawing goes, its fairly useless. i''ve been using paint shop pro 6 lately and i like it pretty well. i didn''t know that psLE was better than PSP, though. maybe i should give it a look anyway...

thanks for the info guys...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement