What defines a good Website

Started by
11 comments, last by Woody FX 20 years, 11 months ago
What defines a Good Web site? 1)Usability/ Navigation > easy and intuitive 2)Design > Must load quickly with no large graphics, clear 3) User Interface > Use technologies accessible to everyone 4) Content > Have clear and concise information I have been surfing the web for the last few hours looking at different websites.... I have to do a website and want to see what works and what doesn’t Some really colourful websites but they are not clear... some with loads of little graphics that look nice and cool but then site feels cluttered! I''ve come to the conclusion that I will keep the Website as clear as possible. Use white as the background and have a navigation bar down the right side of the page. Use very clear coloured text. But what technologies should be used? Html, java, shockwave, flash. Also I have the Adobe suite and is any of that good for web page creation?
Advertisement
I only use HTML and &#106avascript. And I use Notepad to write the code

Flash tend to be slow when loading a website. No matter how colorfull and hightech the flash loader is, I think it''a anoying you have to wait until the entire site is loaded.

Java is nice for online games, but it''s kinda useless for a site.

Sorcerer

SorcSoft.com -> Homepage | Pictures | FTP Upload | Contact
I personally prefer ''clean'' (minimalistic ?) sites. In terms of technology, the less you rely on client side processing the better! CSS can be used these days to provide a lot of effects; currently I have done some stuff for a uni student website that doesn''t have one image in the basic template nor any java/&#106avascript. If you''ve got access to it look at server side programming - such as PHP, ASP or Perl CGI - along with databases this can do some really neat, useful stuff that is independant of the user''s machine.
I am working on my first webpage at the moment. I use PHP and want to keep it all in an oldskool ascii design.

http://www.jliforum.de/hazel/

The news system already works but no content yet.
I have though about it more and i have decided to use no Flash for the main pages..

But will use it to show a Demo of what the App i''m working on can do if the viewer requests it!

I also want to provide the option to allow a file to download if the user as the rights...

I want to let the user log on on a certain part of a site then have access to the files...

I would send the user a password and user id to allow them access

What is the best way to do this...

I know a bit of HTML .. mainly a C++ programmer..
But would be prepared to learn whatever is needed to get this functionality
I prefer to offer the visiter to a site the option of viewing a highly graphical, Flash animated, slow loading version of the site or a plain jane fast loading version. The ones with high speed access can choose the Flash enabled one and enjoy all the eye candy, while a someone with a 56k connection can get all the same great info, but without the load times of graphically intense pages.

Just Smile and Nod...
I AM an Army of One... I just have 10,000 other Armies of One to back me up!
quote:
I would send the user a password and user id to allow them access

What is the best way to do this...

I''m going to be told that there is a better/easier way, but php or asp are good solutions for me. You can either manually assign passwords to people who request it via email, or you can let them get instant access by using a database. This is not usually necessary unless you are charging for admittance, or want to personally inspect each person wanting access to your information. Of course simple CGI will work too, but I''m not as familiar with it as ASP and PHP.

Just Smile and Nod...
I AM an Army of One... I just have 10,000 other Armies of One to back me up!
try my website,

http://www.angrysoft.com/
Get SMS Counter and Call Counter for Nokia 7650/3650
http://www.dualforcesolutions.comProfessional website designs and development, customized business systems, etc.,
quote:Original post by Woody FX
What defines a Good Web site?

1)Usability/ Navigation > easy and intuitive

2)Design > Must load quickly with no large graphics, clear

3) User Interface > Use technologies accessible to everyone

4) Content > Have clear and concise information

Yes, that sums it up for me... But it also depends on the site. My mom, for example, likes all the artsy fartsy graphics and widgets.

Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
I say usability/navigation is the most important, though I also care very much about aesthetics -- I don''t like drab websites like GameDev.

What do you think of mine?

~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement