C# or C++?

Started by
34 comments, last by WiseElben 20 years, 10 months ago
quote:Original post by sark
That explains a lot. Please stop posting.

Hey, I've been programming a lot of stuff in those!!!

What I wish to say is that if you know one, you know all of them except for C-like stuff in C++..

[edited by - PhiberOptic on May 31, 2003 11:06:08 AM]
----------------------------------------------Petter Nordlander"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. They who understand binary and those who do not"
Advertisement
quote:Original post by PhiberOptic
What I wish to say is that if you know one, you know all of them except for C-like stuff in C++..

No, you don''t. Please stop posting.

AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
C# is actually an excellent language for Indie game development as it cuts development time significantly and runs relatively fast.

If you plan to make the next Quake, stick with C++, but C# is a terrific idea for a hobby-iest or Indie developer.

At the last Independent Game Developers conference, C# was a very hot topic of discussion and many well-known Indie game developers spoke out in favor of its (many) virtues and advantages.

EA's Andy Hook (source onlamp.com) also had this to say during the conference:

".. was very impressed with C#. His biggest kudos were for the development environment -- in his eyes, Visual Studio .Net is highly impressive. Speed is less of an issue, especially when compared to its cousin, Java. Hook reinforced the idea of writing speed-critical components in C, C++, or Assembly.

C# has a few drawbacks, however. First, it's tied to a Microsoft toolchain. Though there are implementations that run on FreeBSD (and Mac OS X), as well as reimplementations for GNU systems, it remains to be seen how easily developers can avoid Windows-only components (especially when linking to DirectX components). Second, though it's based on the mature C++ and the maturing Java, it's a relatively new language. Third, it's unproven and is more general than a game-specific language.
"

[edited by - The Frugal Gourmet on May 31, 2003 11:34:07 AM]
Co-creator of Star Bandits -- a graphical Science Fiction multiplayer online game, in the style of "Trade Wars'.
quote:Original post by The Frugal Gourmet
Third, it''s unproven and is more general than a game-specific language.
I''m not sure if i''t what you meant, but C++ is not a game-specific language either.

Check out my raytracer at http://simp-raytracer.sourceforge.net. Download it at http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/simp-raytracer.
quote:Original post by masonium I''m not sure if i''t what you meant, but C++ is not a game-specific language either.

Sorry. I guess that quote was taken out of context.

The article was discussing rapid (and therefore inexpensive) development methods for Indie developers. The first part was discussing game-specific languages and engines. And the second, was mentioning C# as an alternative to cutting development time.

Co-creator of Star Bandits -- a graphical Science Fiction multiplayer online game, in the style of "Trade Wars'.
I don''t think people have the right view of Microsoft.

I think it''s a great thing to have standardizations. If Microsoft didn''t standardize everything, it would be like audio files: there are just so many different formats available; or DVD''s even (although this has lessened recently); or like early network development.

Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement