How can ONE triangle cause the fps to drop by half (150-75) ?

Started by
13 comments, last by VladR 20 years, 11 months ago
quote:This addition may not even be graphic related code - there may be one-too-many math operations in the loop that the addition of just one more operation could mean the retrace has been missed.

Okay, a slightly exaggerated example, but you get the idea!
Far from it. I got the idea, good to remind me the obvious fact that frame time is not influenced by just API calls, but also by my math/processing operations. Thanks
quote:because the driver is allowed to queue up as many as 3 frames of rendering commands
Where in the world is one supposed to find such info regarding the way that drivers work ? Haven`t noticed that on nVidia Developer`s page. Or did you communicate directly with nVidia folks ? Either way thanks.

VladR
Avenger game

VladR My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

Advertisement
quote:Where in the world is one supposed to find such info regarding the way that drivers work ?

I found THIS info (queueing of three pages) in the DIrectX doucmentation, clearly labelled. Have you ever read it from the beginning to the end? There is stuff like this in the API description.
RegardsThomas TomiczekTHONA Consulting Ltd.(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
quote:Have you ever read it from the beginning to the end? There is stuff like this in the API description.
I always read just separate chapters when dealing with some stuff. But no, I never read it from beginning to end - shall have to do it though since it seems I missed some really neat stuff.

VladR
Avenger game

VladR My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

quote:I always read just separate chapters when dealing with some stuff.

I always read the complete documentation front to back ONCE. The difference? I know the API. You dont.

After going through it once, I normally know where to look for details when I need them :-)
RegardsThomas TomiczekTHONA Consulting Ltd.(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
quote:I always read the complete documentation front to back ONCE.
I`m curious. Have you actually printed it all those 400 pages ? Because EVERYTIME I have opened Microsoft Visual C++ AND Microsoft Word with DX docs, the system becomes unstable and crashes due to low system resources therefore not displaying fonts, menus and stuff like that. Naturally you can`t save anything in C++ then. Just reset PC. Even 3dsMax with tens-of-thousands triangles model can be run in another window. Just don`t want to have whole docs open.
That`s why I divided it into separate parts - which means you have to keep opening file after file if you`d like to read it all. Which I`ll do of course, since I have apparently missed some stuff during my first (and only) complete reading of dx docs about a year and half ago which obviously was of little meaning since I knew nothing about dx at that time.
Time to read it again, oh well...

quote:The difference? I know the API. You dont.
Never did I state that i know the API completely. I am progressing gradually and so far have a game in a pretty finished state. I`ll upload the new demo probably this weekend with Low-detail option for slower PCs plus many new smaller finished details.

BTW, Thona, I`m curious, what does your engine`s outcome look like currently with your API knowledge ?

VladR
Avenger game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement