D3D->OpenGL...DirectDraw->???

Started by
9 comments, last by Annatar 20 years, 11 months ago
Hi all, I know this may seem like a n00bish question, and that''s because it is. From what I understand Direct3D and OpenGL do pretty much the same thing. But is there an OpenGL-ish equivalent to DirectDraw? Thanks.
Advertisement
Not in the sense that DirectDraw is designed specifically for 2D rendering. However, you can use OpenGL (with an orthographic perspective mode specifically) to do effectively the same type of things.

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

I can''t wait until DirectDraw is no longer in use.

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net
In a way you might argue that SDL would be the OpenGL equivelent.
I certainly never would, but you might be interested in providing something to back that up.

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

quote:Original post by neurokaotix
I can''t wait until DirectDraw is no longer in use.

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net

That will not be a very long wait ;-)

No no no no! :)
Guess DirectX8 has already done too much damage.
No one really expected DirectDraw to come back, and stept forward to Direct3D.

.lick
DirectDraw was dropped in DX8 because everything that it could do, Direct3D can do.

The same thing happened with OpenGL (except that there never actually *was* a seperate 2D thing). It was dropped because everything that it could do, OpenGL could do too.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

quote:Original post by superpig
DirectDraw was dropped in DX8 because everything that it could do, Direct3D can do.

The same thing happened with OpenGL (except that there never actually *was* a seperate 2D thing). It was dropped because everything that it could do, OpenGL could do too.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

I may be wrong, but don''t Direct3D run off of DirectDraw? Look at all the DirectX 7x samples, you have to initialize DirectDraw to even run 3D. I don''t think DirectX 8x dropped DirectDraw but integrated it more to run behind the scene? Am I wrong? I have been wondering this myself...

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"
quote:Original post by ZealousElixir
I certainly never would, but you might be interested in providing something to back that up.

Cross Platform easy to use with OpenGL and 2d.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement