Other math puzzles

Started by
21 comments, last by ToohrVyk 20 years, 10 months ago
Yes, that''s right.

I''m impressed, man!

ToohrVyk

Advertisement
How about this one:

What are the real value(s) of all the complex numbers n that satisfy the following:

0 = The sum from k = 1 to infinity of 1/(k^n). (Like a p-series where p = n and n is a complex number.)
LOL :D.
Who are you kidding, AP? I will go wake up Riemann. He will figure this out! Hahahahahahahahaha!

It is 1/2. Now that I answered, why don''t you post your solution to it !

20: ...Qg2 ++
/me smells a sulphorous odour of unproven dzeta function...

ToohrVyk

Given a vectorial space, a scalar product for this space, and two vectors u != v from this space, prove that if you take ANY two vectors m, m'' for which ||u-m|| = ||v-m|| and ||u-m''|| = ||v-m''||, then ( u-v | m - m'' ) = 0. (IE u-v and m-m'' are orthogonal).

ToohrVyk

quote:Original post by GaulerTheGoat
Who are you kidding, AP? I will go wake up Riemann. He will figure this out! Hahahahahahahahaha!

Well techinally that hasn''t been proven yet (has it?) .
quote:Original post by The Heretic

Well techinally that hasn''t been proven yet (has it?) .

I have seen in one of my old magazines that a theorom proving program proved it with a certain probability. I didn''t understand the article but I will either find a link to it or try to copy it when I get home. It had something to do with Hyper-geometric functions which I also don''t get. I will post later, then you can decide .

quote:Original post by ToohrVyk
Given a vectorial space, a scalar product for this space, and two vectors u != v from this space, prove that if you take ANY two vectors m, m'' for which ||u-m|| = ||v-m|| and ||u-m''|| = ||v-m''||, then ( u-v | m - m'' ) = 0. (IE u-v and m-m'' are orthogonal).

ToohrVyk

Are the scalars real numbers, complex, or just a generic field? Is scalar product the same as a Hermitian inner product?
I just started getting more interested in vector spaces. Tell me how I am doing :

Vector differences are independant of the origin, so choose m . So
||u -m || = ||v -m || implies that
||u || = ||v ||. Multiplying out the norms
(u -m )•(u -m ) =
(v -m )•(v -m ) or
u u -2u m +m m =
v v -2v m +m m or
u m = v m .
The other equation gives similarly,
u m'' = v m'' .
Subtracting these two and factoring out the u on the LHS and the v on the RHS, and then subtracting the RHS and factoring out the m -m'' gives
(u -v )•(m -m'' ) = 0.

I just started getting more interested in vector spaces. Tell me how I am doing :

Vector differences are independant of the origin, so choose m . So
||u -m || = ||v -m || implies that
||u || = ||v ||. Multiplying out the norms
(u -m )•(u -m ) =
(v -m )•(v -m ) or
u u -2u m +m m =
v v -2v m +m m or
u m = v m .
The other equation gives similarly,
u m'' = v m'' .
Subtracting these two and factoring out the u on the LHS and the v on the RHS, and then subtracting the RHS and factoring out the m -m'' gives
(u -v )•(m -m'' ) = 0.

I''m not sure where you''re getting

||u || = ||v ||

but you don''t need it anyway. If you subtract the two equations at the end those two terms drop out because they are in both equations:

This:
u u -2u m +m m =
v v -2v m +m m

And this:
u u -2u m'' +m'' m'' =
v v -2v m'' +m'' m''

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement