Linear Vs. Interactive!

Started by
187 comments, last by Landfish 21 years, 1 month ago
Firstly, I''d like to say a agreed with much of what Landfish said in the original post, partly because I beleive it''s easy to say "We are a complete new medium, we have to find our own footing", but that dosen''t mean we have to ignore the traditional well established ones. On the other hand we don''t wan''t to translate those medium directly in our own, we have been doing quite a bit of talking about non-linear narrative lately in my UNI course and just thought I''d add some ideas.

I''d like to mention a book that has come up quite a bit during our lecture''s dissucusion on this, "The castle of cross destinies". I have not as yet read it but the basic concept is this, several Taro cards are taken and shuffled. The author then creates a story following the plot elements represented by each Taro card. This is done for three different stories (the cards are printed in the margin), and the author creates three meaningful ''linear stories''.

Ok, so this requires a great deal of work on the part of the author to fill in the gaps but that is the power of the human mind. It''s common in video production to use empathic juxtopositioning of two entirely different images to portray a message (suppose a club and then a nice cuddly fur seal, hehe you get the point). This is where we introduce the idea of the reader, we are living here in the land of interative media and thus the reader is no longer a passive observer but a write\reader (or wreader if you like) where they have the power to participate in and built the story. Basically I am making a case for some form of modular experience, where the modules are story elements that when combined result in a emotional respones from the reader. But this will not necassarily result in a meaningful ''story lines'' every time and it''s not exactly the easiest of things to implement (our lecturer is an idealist not a pragmatist : ).

As for the mutilple endings issue, it really is a result of tring to clone old media into this new form and I am not a fan of it in general (althought some of the ideas AtypicalAlex was talking about sounded like a nicer approach).

I am myself guilty of using this in my assignment for this semester (but I was working in a group it was not entirly up to me . Ours was based on the Frog Prince story. In the one most people know the Princess kisses the frog to turn him into a Prince, in the Grimm Brothers version however the Princess throws him against the wall in frustration. Two endings, already for us to use : ), so what I decided to do with this is earlier on in story there is some conversation pieces and if the frog is mean/rude during these conversations (the user has control over these), the Princess (your character), seethes with anger and becomes angrier. The more this happens the angrier she gets depending on how angry she is at the end she either throws him against the wall or kisses him. (cept in our version she turns in a frog if she kisses him : ) This way we try to replicate the actual feelings the wreader is having and play the story out apporpriatly.

I have more but I fear I have rambled for long enough and probably gone off topic too : ).
______________________________It is entertainment not reality.
Advertisement
Sof, for future refernce, the plural of Medium is Media. Use it, people will think you are smarter than you are (at least, in my case =)

I think you are right about not overusing techniques from other media. We all know what happened when some developer saw the similarity between games and film... the tried to force games to be more movie-like, and we got (for the most part) a pile of crap. It''s my belief that games are evolving on their own to become more cinematic, but in a way we really can''t predict. So the issue is to not FORCE it, but to let it occur natuarally. The best we can do is start changing the current system, and reconsidering the current outlook.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Medium/Media, Urrgg, I knew that, hehe
I''ve been at Uni too long I think
"people will think you are smarter than you are", hehe, this is what makes Arts students such good designers .

Any Arts students out there please don't take offence. Most of my friends are Arts students, it's just a joke.

Edited by - Sof on June 16, 2000 12:36:36 AM
______________________________It is entertainment not reality.
quote: Original post by Landfish

By "Failure ending" is do not mean a conclusion to the story that is less preferable. I mean when you die in combat or make poor choices and never reach the end of a story. All games usually have these

Like if you make Roger Wilco fry his future-wife, Beatrice, you die because the two of you didn't have a son who couldn't come back in SQ4 and save your ass? (It's VERY complicated if you don't know the series )

Oh my... 3 pages... this is going to seem like a reply to something old now Oh well

-Agent1

Visit Activeworlds today!

Edited by - Agent1 on June 17, 2000 1:16:48 AM
I''m not entirely sure on where this stands. It''s hard to come up with different endings for a game that are both satisfying (big mistake is to try and make an ending where you lose). The important part of interactivity is the path that you take to get to the end.
Unless you want to basically make several different games to come up with strongly unique endings.
Anyway - the most important thing is that the game gives the character what he''s looking for, and not everyone will look for the same thing in a game. Which gives us this whole interactivity conecpt. That''s why I liked the way Blade Runner did it''s interactivity because it answered what the gamer wanted as well as wrapping up the story. If you need to change the way you wrap up your story to suit more people then I guess you might be in a little strife.
I think somewhere between the two is a good compromise (interactivity and linearity). In some places it is impractical to be interactive and in other it''s annoying to be linear.
It''s the little things that count.
Now for my little peice if i may, in relation to what landfish said in his first writing here...

I''d like to say that endings to stories suck! Oh yeah, they really suck it ;-). I think endings are only there because the maker/writer can''t go on forever making a story. I see no real need for an ending if it can be avoided. So i''m also saying that endings are the LEAST important part of the story.

After all, you don''t remember a story by it''s ending. You remember it by it contents. Like how jack solved the everyones problem.

If you think that endings are the best then you''re either not enjoying the story or the story let down the ending. Example: If i''m reading a novel and it starts to bore me i start to cram read to get through the crap, the next thing i know is that i can''t wait to get to the end (bad story). Otherwise i only realise that it''s coming to end time because i''m hold a few peices of paper in my right hand (great story/go away ending, please). So the context is far more important that the ending. Endings suck! ;-)

Also, when it comes to computer games, i hate linear. I think it''s a waste of the medium. Linear belongs in books and movies. And i have read this entire thread.

The measure of intelligence is in the question not the answer.
Reading through this monster of a thread, there''s one thing I''ve picked up on:
Linear would be: going towards a single theme-ending, with instant "failure endings" when you divert from the path.
That''s STILL multiple endings. At more than one point on your path, you can run into a failure ending. Usually, just a single screen, with a few skulls and bones on it, proclaiming the sad passing of the character you were playing.

This is a perfect example of bad linear gaming. There''s a line, and it''s all perfectly well done as long as you stay on it. But if you stray off, you just die. No particular reason, no ending that explains why you were wrong. You just have to start over.

So the game is telling you: You messed up, but it wasn''t really at an important point, because we didn''t bother making a special scenario for when you did this wrong.
Ermm. Then why did your character have to die if it wasn''t important.
(I''m NOT talking RPG/Combat things here, more adventure style )

What I''d like to get to, is having a "wrong turn" in a game, that will instantly reduce your chance of a happy ending to zero. But the game would lead you to play your own demise, ending in a well-thought through ending sequence, where you figure out exactly why you failed, or perhaps not.
( Guess you weren''t paying attention to playing the game if you didn''t figure it out )

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment..
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
I think we already clarified endings from conclusions, Keith.

But as for what you said, death endings aren''t necessarily bad things. You just can''t be unfair about it. The player must be able to discern the right path by being intelligent, and a good player. But if you can do no wrong in a game, is it still a game? If no matter what I do I will still get at the meat of the game, I''m not going to try very hard, am I?
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
quote:Original post by Landfish

I think we already clarified endings from conclusions, Keith.

But as for what you said, death endings aren''t necessarily bad things. You just can''t be unfair about it. The player must be able to discern the right path by being intelligent, and a good player. But if you can do no wrong in a game, is it still a game? If no matter what I do I will still get at the meat of the game, I''m not going to try very hard, am I?

Try very hard at what? If you enjoy a good book are you trying hard? What is the "meat" of the game anyhow?

I could have answered the way i wanted to but i want to know exactly what your saying first. meat? meat?

I prefer flavoured rice myself ;-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement