ID3DXSprite VS 2D

Started by
6 comments, last by Link 20 years, 11 months ago
A lot of people, also Jims Adams is his book, suggested me to use ID3DXSprite for drawing 2D Sprites (in tiles mode) and 2D Background (always 2D)... But other people suggest me to use simply 2D textured Polygons for 2D games Ehiter to draw the sprites either to draw the background, waht is the best, fast and right way?
Advertisement
I vote the 2nd way.

In DirectX8.1, I'm not sure about DirectX9.0, you cant turn AlphaTesting(colorkeying) off, once you loaded a sprite with colorkeying on. While this feature is needed.

.lick

[edited by - Pipo DeClown on May 29, 2003 6:22:29 AM]
quote:Original post by Pipo DeClown
I vote the 2nd way.

In DirectX8.1, I''m not sure about DirectX9.0, you cant turn AlphaTesting(colorkeying) off, once you loaded a sprite with colorkeying on. While this feature is needed.

Sorry Pipo but i''m not successing to follow you...
Why are you so fixed with AlphaTesting(colorkeying)?
What is its importance?
Over this detail why do u prefer textured polygon to ID3DXSprite?
Essentially, they are the same thing, ID3DXSprite uses textured Polygons to draw your sprite. The main reason some people don''t use it is that they want to implement their sprite functionality in a different way, or for performance reasons.

------------------------------
BASIC programmers don''t die, they just GOSUB and don''t return.
------------------------------BASIC programmers don't die, they just GOSUB and don't return.
quote:Original post by GarlandIX
The main reason some people don''t use it is that they want to implement their sprite functionality in a different way, or for performance reasons.

ok what are these reasons?
What are these differnt way to implement their sprites?
Performance??? Why? Do ID3DXSprite need to much resources in more than others methods?

i recently completed my lense class. i used dynamic transformed tris to render lense quads. I could use ID3DXSprite but i dont know why i didnt?

However i will use ID3DXSprite for rendering billborded 3d particles.
3D Side-Scroller game demo Project-X2 "playable"Lashkar: A 3D Game & Simulation Project demo @ lashkar.berlios.de
quote:Original post by Link

ok what are these reasons?
What are these differnt way to implement their sprites?
Performance??? Why? Do ID3DXSprite need to much resources in more than others methods?

By writin' your own, you have total control, and you understand
the way it works. Better still, you can exclude those things
you know well won't be used.

[edited by - HaywireGuy on May 30, 2003 2:18:30 AM]
quote:Original post by HaywireGuy

By writin'' your own, you have total control, and you understand
the way it works. Better still, you can exclude those things
you know well won''t be used.

What does it pertinent with?
Please don''t tell about cock-up

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement