DirectX v. OpenGL (please respond)

Started by
15 comments, last by ah_bk88 20 years, 10 months ago
I know, I know, this topic has been rehashed a thousand times over, but I just had one simple question. I''d try searching the forum, but I get WAAAY too many results to go through them all. In the real world game development industry is one (Direct3D or OpenGL) used more often than the other. Basicly, if I were to learn one API, which should it be? I''m not asking which is better, but which would a prospective employer rather me know when hiring (hopefully) me. Like if I know one will the other be then easier to learn, or is one used more often in the industry. Sorry, this question was meant to be a one or two liner, but it grew. Just Smile and Nod...
I AM an Army of One... I just have 10,000 other Armies of One to back me up!
Advertisement
quote:Original post by ah_bk88
In the real world game development industry is one (Direct3D or OpenGL) used more often than the other.
Neither. Remember that "real world" game development also includes console platforms and handhelds (PDAs, cell phones, GBAs). DirectX is necessary on the XBox, but none of the other platforms provides a standard OpenGL implementation - though third-party vendors may.

quote:Basicly, if I were to learn one API, which should it be?
Both. What''s so hard about learning both?

quote:I''m not asking which is better, but which would a prospective employer rather me know when hiring (hopefully) me.
Both. Plus, if you''re asking about employment and which API to learn in the same post, you''ve got a long way to go...
It''s about 50/50.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
quote:Original post by cowsarenotevil
It's about 50/50.
Upon what do you base that statement? Everything I've seen leads me to believe that Direct3D is used significantly more frequently than OpenGL on Windows-based platforms for game development (which is the only platform where the comparsion is even relevant.

Anyway, I think Oluseyi's advice on this is spot-on.
Yeah OpenGL and DX are both used so you''d be better off knowing both. DX is used for a lot of stuff like console and game programming for windows. OpenGL is not too different either so you would get better chances of getting a job if you knew them both. Why would you only want to learn one?
Really? I''ll take your word for it, but I heard that it was about 50/50...
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Id have to say it is about 50/50
most games support both
you can go in the options and choose opengl or direct3d
Recent local market analysis in my area showed that 86% of consumers utilize Direct3D over OpenGL in games when available.

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

I realize I''ve a way to go, I am just at a point now, where it is time to learn one or the other (even if I learn both, I must still learn one before the other). I have a strong grasp of C++ in Windows and the next step (in game programming) would be to learn a graphics API (someone correct me if I''m wrong, please). I''m just looking for the forum''s input as to which I''d be better off learning first. I''m leaning more toward Direct3D because of the rest of DirectX (DirectInput, DirectSound, etc). Or are there other, more popular alternatives to the rest of DirectX as well? Please, I''m just looking to take my next step in game programming and am looking for assistance as to where to put my foot.

Just Smile and Nod...
I AM an Army of One... I just have 10,000 other Armies of One to back me up!
this is the order i learned stuff in
c++, windows, directdraw, opengl, direct3d

i would have to say this
if you like working with classes then use direct3d
if you like working with functions then use opengl

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement