Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

whos who...

Started by kramer04 Jun 6, 2003 at 6:42 AM 17 replies 2.4k views
Original Post
kramer04
kramer04
Hi, I was wondering who is an old timer in this forum, is it possible for people that regularly participate in this forum to introduce them selves. Its good to have an idea of who you are talking to. I work for a game company in australia and AI is my daily bread and butter. thanks, tim
ShoelessManiac
ShoelessManiac
Uhh...
Hello!

EDIT: damn, didn't work.

[edited by - ShoelessManiac on June 10, 2003 6:55:13 AM]
MikeD
MikeD
My name''s Mike Ducker and I''m an AI programmer

*applause and hugs from AI programmers anonymous group*

I work for Lionhead Studios, have been in the industry 5 years and have a degree and Masters in AI. Also I (as many here do) write the occasional article for Games Programming Gems and AI Wisdom books.

Mike
botman
botman
Hmmm, If you''re just trying to identify old timers, read some of the posts from the past to see who''s replied.

You''ll also see the "member since mm/dd/yyyy" next to the poster''s name, which will give you a pretty good indication of how long they''ve been around and you can click on their "profile" link to get more information about where they''re from, what they do, and see some of the previous posts that they''ve made.

botman
SpaceRogue
SpaceRogue
I read the forum...does that count?

I play games, manage a network, buy lots of game programming books (lately anyway), and recently have been trying to write my first game. =D
Timkin
Timkin
Hey Kramer04, who do you work for? I''m always trying to find more industry contacts in Oz.

Most know my name... it''s easy to find in my profile if you dont!I have a PhD in AI (maths and comp sci) and I currently do AI/neurological research for one of Melbourne''s leading hospitals (although technically Im employed by Melbourne Uni). I''ve lectured both AI and Mathematics at Monash Uni, the latter for quite some years (although not any more). I''ve been involved in the online game development community for several years now and I''m an avid gamer, both computer (online and offline) and tabletop. I haven''t written articles for any of the game AI books, but that''s because you all here me blather on here quite enough without having to read it in print...

Cheers,

Timkin
ShoelessManiac
ShoelessManiac
quote:
Original post by Timkin
Hey Kramer04, who do you work for? I'm always trying to find more industry contacts in Oz.

Most know my name... it's easy to find in my profile if you dont!I have a PhD in AI (maths and comp sci) and I currently do AI/neurological research for one of Melbourne's leading hospitals (although technically Im employed by Melbourne Uni). I've lectured both AI and Mathematics at Monash Uni, the latter for quite some years (although not any more). I've been involved in the online game development community for several years now and I'm an avid gamer, both computer (online and offline) and tabletop. I haven't written articles for any of the game AI books, but that's because you all here me blather on here quite enough without having to read it in print...

Cheers,

Timkin

In view of kramer04's boringly serious, straight-to-the-point post, and Timkin's incredibly long, detailed, and mind-bogglingly intelligent reply, I have decided that this thread could do with a bit of nonsense. Therefore, I hereby proclaim this thread open to colonization by the Pink Club.

[edited by - ShoelessManiac on June 10, 2003 6:57:31 AM]
Justin Caseman
Justin Caseman
Aaaahhh.... so thats how I get the smiley to work.Yup.. it won''t be long now!
Justin
AnonymousPosterChild
AnonymousPosterChild
I wouldnb''t go by what timkim said. I have been around for a year longer than what my name says, but I''m not very good with AI.

--------------------------------------------
Democracy may only be a few steps removed from anarchy, but at least it isn''t as loud.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Timkin
Timkin
When did I correlate ''time on GD.net'' with ''knowledge of AI''? I think you need to be careful about ascribing views to people that haven''t expressed them.

Timkin
free lancer
free lancer
quote:
Original post by AnonymousPosterChild
I wouldnb''t go by what timkim said. I have been around for a year longer than what my name says, but I''m not very good with AI.

--------------------------------------------
Democracy may only be a few steps removed from anarchy, but at least it isn''t as loud.


Excuse me, but are you trying to do a YodaTheCoda impersonation?

Krylion
Krylion
Not an old-timer here, but working for the games industry in London as an AI programmer! =P

Been an AI scripter for the past two and a half years since I graduated, and been promoted to AI coder recently. I''m the sole AI coder in the company, therefore the recent joining of forums, as I have no-one to work out problems with! =P
Spencer
Spencer
Hi!
I am neither an old-old-timer nor an AI expert but i will soon have my masters in complex adaptive systems (AI, neural networks, GA, autonomous agents, robitcs and stuff). Coding spare time on my game...well...always intersting to read the posts here at gamedev...

"see" you

--Spencer

"Relax, this dragon is sleeping..."
--Spencer"All in accordance with the prophecy..."
kramer04
kramer04
Hey Timkin,

I'am in SA, and I work for into3d.com which is a game and entertainment technology company. I'am the lead programmer here, and my main point of interest is AI. I'am quite new here in these forums and its great to know youre from OZ as well.

I would be very interested to know what you have been involved in lately. AI/neurological research? hmm interesting what is it.

Tim
ctopcu@into3d.com





[edited by - kramer04 on June 14, 2003 11:15:13 AM]
Timkin
Timkin
quote:
Original post by kramer04
I would be very interested to know what you have been involved in lately. AI/neurological research? hmm interesting what is it.



Predicting epileptic seizures from EEG data (brain electrical activity). I doubt I''ll stay here next year though... and I''ll probably move back to more traditional AI... although I''m not sure if I''ll head back to academia or into industry. The latter is the better choice but harder to find decent work that pays well.

Timkin
MikeD
MikeD
Timkin: It''s easier to find well paid AI jobs in academia than industry?
I''d have thought it would be the other way around.

Mike
Nypyren
Nypyren
VEN-TU-RA.....

"Yes Satan?"
Timkin
Timkin
Nypyren: This is not the forum to be posting spam in. We have a good community here in the AI forum that doesn''t tolerate this sort of behaviour. Please don''t do it again.

Timkin
Timkin
Timkin
quote:
Original post by MikeD
Timkin: It''s easier to find well paid AI jobs in academia than industry?

I''d have thought it would be the other way around.



Note I said ''decent work that pays well''... in general, it''s tough to get a tenured position in academia in Australia... but it''s also tough trying to convince companies that they should be utilising new techniques that have been shown to be better, rather than outdated ones that have given them passable results in the past. Furthermore, most of what they want you to do is coding their bad solutions to their problems, rather than creating new ones. There are exceptions to this, but they are few and far between... at least in my experience.

I''m sure the situation is different overseas... unfortunately, for the next few years at least, I''m tied to Oz. 8^(

Timkin

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.