Software Interfaces?

Started by
4 comments, last by Ronny 23 years, 10 months ago
Hello, I''m was the people with the classification question on the GameDev - Forum one week ago and I have one last question which is absolute important for us: It is possible to classify following words under "Software Interfaces"?: - ActiveX, CGI, DirectX, OpenGL, Winsoc It would be fantastic if somebody can help me again so very well! With kind regards!
Advertisement
It is possible to use "Software Interfaces"?
Software interface?
Don''t you mean user interface?

Winsock is certainly no user interface, maybe a network interface, but then in other words...

Why is this question so important?

I''m getting a little confused here

They come under the category of an API. API stands for Application Programming Interface. APIs are typically given to present what are called high-level commands to the programmer, so that he/she doesn''t have to worry about all sorts of minor details.

Low-level is something like asm -- it''s whatever you need to "micromanage" a particular task, when you know just about everything going on and you personally control it.

High-level is more along the lines of a "black box", which simply works and you don''t know how it works but you can still use it fine.

Assembly languages are an example of low-level languages, and Visual Basic is an example of a high-level language. As you probably realized, high- or low-level is relative, and it depends on the task you are trying to accomplish.

But back to the main question. An API puts a really easy interface on something that is very complex, kind of like in a CD player where you hit the play button and the CD plays music. You (the user) do not have to know about the aiming of the laser and how the volume control works together with the speakers, etc. you just plug the thing into the wall and it plays music (well, not mine anyway ).

I can continue with this if you want, but I feel like I''m rambling now...

- null_pointer
Sabre Multimedia
aaaahhhhhaaaapi
At first thank you all very much for your comments.

You think I should use API as category? Oh no, I have a discussion, one week long, about this topic to use API as category, but for example CGI isn''t a API but I need one category for these words for a project in which I must for example classify tutorials in such categories.

1. So please say me why I didn''t use the category "Software interfaces"?
2. Maybe I should use only a category "Interfaces", so API is a interface and CGI too?

I would be very pleased about your help because it is very important and I don''t have much time any longer.

With kind regards!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement