Creating a generic memory manager...

Started by
-1 comments, last by gimp 23 years, 10 months ago
I''ve had this idea recently. There''s a whole bunch of stuff that you request from the system that could fail for a whole bunch of reasons, mostly things we care about in a pass\fail kind of way like ''new''ing more ram or creating a thread or mutex. I was thinking about creating a class that would wrap a call to new and do a little smart stuff... Smart stuff that I probably wouldn''t bother with for most of my code if left to my own devices... So I started laying out a class structure that would be able to handle requests to allocate memory. I started off as you might thing, create a string ..''newer'' and then a structure ''newer''... DOH! I bet you guessed that I couldn''t work out how to make my class without a gazillion overload methods that would allow newing of custom types. If this is even possible it must be one of those guru trick''s I see that are rarely documented as all my references don''t have anyhing like what I''m looking at doing. In case I lost you. I want to make a generic memory management class that can accept something like class CManager public: char* New(type something, INT32 Num); ..something that can do the same thing as New but will allow be to do things like: -Check for null return code (Memory allocation failure) -Check to see if passed in pointer is already pointing to an existing block of memory and free(delete) it first so I don''t leak. So the question beg''s, shouldn''t this already exist, or are any of you already doing this? Many many thanks chris
Chris Brodie

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement