• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JamesBN2000

'Learn C++ in 21 days' - riight

This topic is 5484 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

for a while now I''ve been searching for something that will teach me C++, which to allot of people seem to be the first step toward getting a head start in the development industry - sounds kewl, so I bought the "game programming starter Kit 4.0" by Macmillan Software, seems quite impressive.. as far as C++ goes, it provides you with a microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 introductory Edition, not the full package, but enough to get me started.. it also comes with an "e-book" called "teach yourself Visual C++ 6 in 21 days". according to this forum, allot of people consider this book to be the best, but this is where my question comes up, I have started this book a few times, everything seems to start out simple, everything runs smoothly till I get an error after I compile everything.. I know its something I''ve done, but it gets a little aggrivating when it shows me where my error is, yet not knowing how to code I can''t fix anything. the main problem is when they explain the code in the book, its hard for me to know exactly how they want the code from the book onto the screen, like I said, I have started this book a few times, and all the coding is correct, but for some reason after I compile everything I get an error and i can''t contenue - what to do what to do - is it the fact that I''m working from an e-book? or just that I need another book that''l explain things better for a simple mind as I.. I''m not sure - I would appreciate any answers

Advertisement
I''m not sure what you mean by "how they want the code from the book onto the screen", but I assure you that it doesn''t matter. Code straight from a (fairly reputable) book should compile no matter what. Chances are, your errors are due to typos or misunderstanding something.

Anyway, nobody can help you if you don''t tell us what the error is, exactly. Post it, and we will help.

The problem with that book is that is a beginner book on Windows programming, not on regular programming. You should check out Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days. This book teaches you C++ without all the windows stuff. I should be easier on you.

ps. Make sure when you do that book, you create a Win32 console app in Visual C++.

First make it work,
then make it fast.

--Brian Kernighan

"I’m happy to share what I can, because I’m in it for the love of programming. The Ferraris are just gravy, honest!" --John Carmack: Forward to Graphics Programming Black Book

quote:
Original post by JamesBN2000
it also comes with an "e-book" called "teach yourself Visual C++ 6 in 21 days".
according to this forum, allot of people consider this book to be the best

Note the "Visual C++ 6" in the title it''s not the book people here recomends for beginers. The book alot of people here recomends are named "Teach yourself C++ in 21 days" by Jesse Liberty and it''s (despite its somewhat lame name) rather good.

--
Spearhawk Productions
Project Andromeda

ahh.. I see now, thats really good, I appreciate that cuz I just now noticed the difference in the books -
another question though .. can I still use the "microsoft visual C++ intro program" that they give you, or do ya''ll recommend that I download a demo, or heck, go buy the C++ program itself? (not knowing the cost of course) -
which do ya''ll prefer -- oh, and thanks again about the book, I just went to booksamillion and bought it.. so now I''ll have something to work with..

Visual C++ is Microsoft's C++ compiler/IDE/debugger. It can be used to make both Windows apps and simple console ones, so you don't need to buy anything else.

[edited by - micepick on June 18, 2003 10:48:09 AM]

If u want to start out real fast. Check this site -> www.cprogramming.com

There is a very breif tutorial for almost all basic C++ programming that u needs everyday.

U can finish them fast.Try to make some simple program that taught by that site. And u will know how programming in C++.

Guest Anonymous Poster
For someone who is currently reading C++ in 24 hours book, what a good book to read after that?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!