[java] I am sick and tired of prejudism!

Started by
31 comments, last by felonius 23 years, 10 months ago
Dear My Anonymous:

C# will probably be just a bad attempt of microsoft (using musical names for some strange reason) to make a Java competitor. I for one will not support it, because MS will find a way, they always do. By the way, don't call it D, call it P, in honor of BCPL, which is what they though C++ would be called.

-----------------------------

A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."

Edited by - ImmaGNUman on June 23, 2000 5:25:58 PM
-----------------------------A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."The Micro$haft BSOD T-Shirt
Advertisement
To Houdini and others who heard that Java doesn''t have pointers, Java has pointers. If you refrence any Object(class) you use a pointer naturally. It''s just it''s invisible to you. If you create a double,float,int,char,byte of other primitive types it declares the memory right there. Also when you pass a object into a function it is automatically passed by refrence(as in a pointer is passed not a copy of the whole thing), if you pass a primitive type it is passed by value.

Another handy thing you can do with pointers in Java is make a pointer to Object by writing Object o; Now o can point to anything it wants to except primitive types. Or have a method that accepts an Object and that Object can be anything. Just wanted to point out that Java can do it all. If you are having difficulty porting a program with pointers over to Java, just ask as there''s definately a way.

I remember doing programs demonstrating polymorphism and inheiritance in C++ class, and having so many pointers and
pointer related things going on that the program would litterally be unreadable to a novice and a pain even for a expert(there were * all over the pages). In Java this kind of stuff is perfectly readable, easy to write, less buggy,no cleanup, but of course the downfall is that when someone looks at your code it
will be so apparent what you are doing they won''t think your a genius.
author of the Helping Phriendly Book
Thank you all for your comments. Please post more if you can.

The comment by an anonymous poster on page 1 decerves immediate feedback.

The poster argues that Java development not really is faster than C++ development and that some of my "advantages" not are weel-founded. I have therefore extected the article with a link to anotehr page were readers can get a more in-depth discussion of what I mean. If you are the anonymous poster I would be very pleased to see your comments on this.

It can be found here:
http://www.marner.dk/articles/WhyJavaCanBeUsedForGames/advantages.htm

There has also been some discussion in this topic on whether Java increases developer productivity. And have therefore added a list of references accessible from the article that explains this in detail.

It can be found here:
http://www.marner.dk/articles/WhyJavaCanBeUsedForGames/CppJava.htm

I have also modified the article a few places to take into account some of the comments in this topic.

Jacob Marner

Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement